solenoid connections 62 evinrude 4 questions

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 62 evinrude lark 6. It has a safety switch which should keep it from cranking with throttle is wide open. it does not. When the switch is engaged (idle to half throttle) the wire coming from the switch is showing ground. I tested it with multi-meter and have 0 ohm short to ground. When half to full throttle the wire does not show ground.

Question 1: So the solenoid sees a ground on the safety terminal of the solenoid and lets the engine turn over?

Question 2: When there is no ground then the engine doesn't turn over (around [if the engine turns over there is water in the boat] :) ) ?

Question 3: So the solenoid itself should not be grounded? Be isolated from the junction box by a gasket?

Question 4 is below:
On the wiring diagram below for the solenoid is shows
1. The +12v on the left of the solenoid going to starter on engine.
2. Just to the right of that is a safety switch connection.
3. Just to the right of that is the hot wire from the key switch.
4. On the far right is the +12v from the battery.
40hp electric.JPG
Sample junction box below. numbered as above.
solenoid01.JPG

Am I reading this right? If so the PO had the junction box messed up because connections 2 and 3 are reversed currently?

Kilgore

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: solenoid connections 62 evinrude 4 questions

Question 1...yes

Question 2....correct (you say the baot sank?)

Question 3....The solenoid body is grounded to the box. But that doesn't mean anything because there is no connection between the internals of the solenoid and body.

Perhaps if you understood the solenoid: the coil inside has one end connected to one of the small terminals, and the other end connected to the other small terminal. When you turn the key to start, the current flow from the switch goes to one small terminal, through the coil inside, out the other small terminal, to the safety switch and to ground. That "clicks" the solenoid and cranks the engine. You are reading the diagram correctly.

Now, I gotta ask, do you have a car (Ford) solenoid in there? They look identical but are different inside, the coil being grounded to the case. That would cause the safety switch to have no effect. Also, it normally fries the safety switch the first time you try to crank it. You must have a mighty tough switch if that hasn't happened.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
Re: solenoid connections 62 evinrude 4 questions

Thanks for the reply F_R,

I don't know if the solenoid is for a boat or a car (Ford). I do know that it makes no difference what position the throttle or safety switch is in it will still crank. I will have to pull some numbers off it.

I know when I got the boat a few weeks ago that the safety switch was not working at all. I mean that it did not touch anything on the armature plate causing the switch to be in a constant open position and not putting a ground on the wire leading back to the solenoid. When hitting the start button it would still turn the engine over. So it sounds like the solenoid is from a car.

They look identical but are different inside, the coil being grounded to the case. That would cause the safety switch to have no effect.

Kilgore