85 hp evinrude head gasket

Bcarroll350

Recruit
Have 85 hp evinrude. Left head gasket has been replaced. Water leaks from bottom around gasket. With muffs in yard water comes out everywhere supposed to and no water in cylinder. Also doesn't get hot. Haven't been to river yet. What might be my problem maybe surfaces not cleaned when gasket replaced? Thanks for any help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 hp evinrude head gasket

My first thought would be that the head is warped or the gasket surface was not cleaned properly. My second thought is that there is a crack somewhere.

Bcarroll350

Recruit

I am fairly mechanically inclined but this is first boat. Worked on lots of 2 strokes though. Where would you start this investigation. Motor doesn't look like much wear besides the newer gasket. Also sorry it is base gasket.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is it the base gasket or the head gasket ?? If it's the base gasket the power head will have to be pulled.

Bcarroll350

Recruit

Well what i would call head gasket is under dome on cylinder. Base gasket under cylinder. I can remove both on boat i believe. Not sure again this is my first boat

Bcarroll350

Recruit

After looking at parts diagrams online it is head gasket. Not base gasket or water jacket gasket.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

one ? does it freeze where your at, those v-4s would get sand built up in bottom of the cooling passage then it would freeze crack the block.

Bcarroll350

Recruit

Yes it does freeze here, but since someone replaced that gasket ( don't know why replaced one side and not both sides) makes me believe it is related. Guess i need to remove cylinder and check for crack.