1956 johnson 5.5 pump conversion/ location experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwcove

Admiral
this is just a rough setup, but it all clears the cowl so far. i am planning on using 3/16 copper line to get the pulse line ( top) and the fuel in line ( front), pointing in the right direction (tiller side). the fuel out line looks good. will need to borrow or buy a tubing bender to make the 180 bends for the two lines in a tight radius. but before i get to deep into this experiment....has anyone tried to mount a pump in this location? ie....should i stop now!!?? lol. DSCF1727.jpgDSCF1728.jpgDSCF1729.jpgDSCF1730.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 johnson 5.5 pump conversion/ location experiment.

Cool mount, you're going to be the go to guy for conversions!

I cant see why it wont work. Keep us updated.

Rick.

Captain

Looks good to me. Am I correct that you've mounted it above the carb. and using the recoil mount screws for two of the three mounting holes? I did see a conversion where the fellow had used the same pump as yours but sort of had it tie wrap mounted at the rear and I didn't much care for the look of it. Yours looks much better.

I just picked up a 57 - 5.5 Johnson on the weekend. Winter project I thought but I'm already getting excited about getting to it but there is a lot of painting to be done around here that doesn't include motors if you get my (her) drift. I will be watching as you go forward and probably asking you and HighTrim a ton of questions at some point in the future. Keep posting and showing those pictures. Best of luck. Rick.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Cool idea. I like it.:) I have a cool idea for mounting, but it will only be doable, while the motor is in process of a rebuild.

64osby

Admiral

Very nice nwcove. :cool:

I would try to run fuel and pressure lines without the copper 180's just to see if it would work. If the line(s) kink then add the copper tube.

That will only work on motors with the twin tube air inlets that are down low if I'm looking at it the right way.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello there, nice bracket, if it works, I want one too!

My pump is on the starboard side along side the cylinders, with a chop stcick zip teid to one of the pump's mounting holes, and the other end of the chop stick is zip tied to the starboard air intake bracket.

To avoid kinks in the lines, I slipped some small springs I found at the hardware store inside the line at the critical spot where it was collapsing. I used the clear Tygon hose they sell at the hardware store. This setup, albeit a bit crude and improvised, has lasted me over 4 years now with no problems.

Attachments

• 54 johnson5.JPG
    54 johnson5.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

DSCF1731.jpgDSCF1732.jpgDSCF1733.jpg
Looks good to me. Am I correct that you've mounted it above the carb. and using the recoil mount screws for two of the three mounting holes? I did see a conversion where the fellow had used the same pump as yours but sort of had it tie wrap mounted at the rear and I didn't much care for the look of it. Yours looks much better.

I just picked up a 57 - 5.5 Johnson on the weekend. Winter project I thought but I'm already getting excited about getting to it but there is a lot of painting to be done around here that doesn't include motors if you get my (her) drift. I will be watching as you go forward and probably asking you and HighTrim a ton of questions at some point in the future. Keep posting and showing those pictures. Best of luck. Rick.

yep. i used the two front recoil holes for the bracket. still not sure if its the best way , or the best pump, to mount, but so far it all clears the cowl and any moving parts. ( i do have plan "b"! lol) its starting to look a bit " frankenstein", but i cant see why it wont work ? ...those pics are arent so good, but it does show the idea.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

One little trick I was thinking about doing to my old 5.5's, was utilizing the little nipples on thside of the block, where the intake ports are and drilling and tapping for a 10-24 screw hole and mounting a fuel pump mounting plate there, then drilling and tapping for an elbow fitting for the pulsator line in front of the mounting plate. Of course, I would do this kind of a mod, when I have the engine torn down, for a re-ring job.

nwcove

Admiral

somewhat gave up on plan "A", in favour of plan "B". This mounting setup for a rectangular mikuni pump seems to work out very well for plan 'B', the pulse nipple points into the "fin" in the cowl for a bit more clearance to make the turn without being kinked,the "in" and "out" lines look simple enough to route. i do wish i had a briggs and stratton type pump, as it looks like it would be perfect for this mount.....but i'm determined to use the pump i have. :p. ( wont buy that style pump again for this application tho)

DSCF1734.jpgDSCF1735.jpgDSCF1736.jpgDSCF1737.jpgDSCF1738.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, what's really cool about Mikuni fuel pumps, is they make hundreds of variations, with the nipples pointing all different directions. You can look for hours on ebay and find a few different styles that will work good on an outboard application. HighTrim used a nice little Briggs and Stratton pump on his motor that looks awesome.

nwcove

Admiral

DSCF1742.jpgDSCF1740.jpgDSCF1741.jpg

final setup for the "non cable tie" mount. it still looks a bit "busy" but it does clear the cowl, and it wont rattle around. do need to make the connections downstream of the pump, but that looks like it will work out ok. ( as mentioned previously, the b&s style pump is the way to go for the conversion with this bracket, as it would be a much easier job to route the lines)

nwcove

Admiral

conversion is complete, had two leaks because of using regular cable ties, but after fixing those, the 5.5 runs great. havent touched the carb or ignition yet, but the flywheel is coming off so i can set the timing with F_R's timing fixture. ( wonderful tool!!). this style pump is definitively not the way go for the conversion of a 5.5!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Im not a real big fan of zip ties, I personally cannot get them very tight. I am starting to use these ear clamps that tighten when you pinch the ears with a pair of end cutters or pliers. They look neat, hold a great seal, and are reasonable. Not a fan of hose clamps either.

nwcove

Admiral

i do have good luck with fuel line cable ties, but i used regular cable ties......its all i had on hand , and they cause more issues than they solve, i will need to redo every connection....and using copper/rubber mix there are way to many spots for leaks to occur. i have one more cd series to convert and it will be with a briggs and stratton style pump, so much easier!! hope this post helps others in the future that may want to try to do a "clean" install with the style pump i used.

Rick.

Captain

I think it looks pretty good. A couple of questions though. You mention fuel line cable ties. Where do you get them. I've never seen them for sale. Also do you have a model number you could give me for the Briggs and Straton pump? Thanks for sharing your project. The pictures help me a lot. Rick.

nwcove

Admiral

the fuel line cable ties are omc/brp part # 320107, and if you want to go with an OE briggs & stratton pump ( mikuni) the b&s part # is 808657.

Status
Not open for further replies.