1999 johnson 115 (j115PLEEM) fuse issue

anj77

Recruit
I am looking at a 99 larson flyer with a 115 johnson o/b. The owner put a battery in it to show and accidentally hooked an auxillary ground to the pos side of battery for about a min. He disconnected it after smoke came from the cowling. Upon removing the cowling the trim relays was the area smoking the most. Nothing melted straight thru and after replacing the 20a fuse everything worked. Except now the electric choke will pop the fuse when engaged, the wires at the batt. are standard red and black 1 auxillary red (smaller awg) 1 auxillary black (smaller in awg) and a purple wire with silver writing (trace) on it. Checked the stator and getting spark to all 4 cylinders, disconnected the purple wire from battery (was put on the ground by owner, not sure what the wire goes to) What should I check next if the fuse keeps popping when elec choke is engaged, and what does the purple wire go to (hot or ground, and what is it)??? Please help......

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1999 johnson 115 (j115PLEEM) fuse issue

Check insulation on thepositive wire to the choke all the way from choke to switch; insulation may have burned thru and is grounding out.

anj77

Recruit

OK, thanks I will look into that. Do you happen to know what the purple wire is in the battery area, and if it should be on pos or ground? I have not had time yet to run thru all the wiring, just like to get an idea of what it could be.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

On my engine purple is power wire to the switch and is on the positive side.