1964 evinrude sportwin 9.5 impeller replacement

sawguy50

Recruit
I am trying to remove the lower unit to replace the water pump impeller. After removing 4 bolts, the unit drops down about 1 1/2 inches and stops. The gear shift lever jumps up to reverse and stops. There is a rod at the rear of the housing with 2 bolts and a coupler ( looks like brass ). I can get at one bolt (bottom one) but not the top one. How do I remove this lower unit? Thanks!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1964 evinrude sportwin 9.5 impeller replacement

Remove the lower bolt in that coupler and it'll disconnect with a slight downward pull.

mini-x fan

Seaman

Yeah, remove the bottom one all the way out and the unit should drop down. I just did one on my '65 sportwin 9.5 hp this week for the first time. If you need any more help, just post up.

Tight Lines and Good Luck

sawguy50

Recruit

Yeah, remove the bottom one all the way out and the unit should drop down. I just did one on my '65 sportwin 9.5 hp this week for the first time. If you need any more help, just post up.

Tight Lines and Good Luck

thanks, I loosened the bottom bolt a bit and it still didn't want to release. Maybe I didn't pull hard enough, or back the bolt out enough. I'll try again.

mini-x fan

Seaman

You have to remove the bolt all the way for it to drop down.

sawguy50

Recruit

took bolt all the way out, everything worked perfect. Thanks for everything !

mini-x fan

Seaman

No problem, as I said, feel free to ask any other questions.

Tight Lines

georgeJeff

Cadet

I know that this is an old thread, but I have questions. Replacing the water pump on my 1964 9.5hp sportwin. Got the LU off (luckily someone had already broken all four bolts off to save me the trouble). So, the LU, drive shaft, AND the water tube came down with the unit. I just read another thread about a 1973 sportwin, where they said the power head had to come off to get the water tube back into its "hole" for lack of a better word.

Question, Do I have to remove the power head to get the water tube back in the correct location, or do I just stick it up in there? If I just stick it in there, are there O rings, gaskets, or other such things required?

Question 2: I am replacing the water pump housing also. How do I get the water tube out of the original housing? It seems to pinned on. If the power head has to come off, would you like to buy a 1964 9.5 hp 9422s evinrude?

Thanks for all the help ladies and gentleman.

Jeff

mini-x fan

Seaman

I know that this is an old thread, but I have questions. Replacing the water pump on my 1964 9.5hp sportwin. Got the LU off (luckily someone had already broken all four bolts off to save me the trouble). So, the LU, drive shaft, AND the water tube came down with the unit. I just read another thread about a 1973 sportwin, where they said the power head had to come off to get the water tube back into its "hole" for lack of a better word.

Question, Do I have to remove the power head to get the water tube back in the correct location, or do I just stick it up in there? If I just stick it in there, are there O rings, gaskets, or other such things required?

Question 2: I am replacing the water pump housing also. How do I get the water tube out of the original housing? It seems to pinned on. If the power head has to come off, would you like to buy a 1964 9.5 hp 9422s evinrude?

Thanks for all the help ladies and gentleman.

Jeff

You do not have to remove the power head, just put it back up there. I'm not sure about your second question though sorry!