OMC side mount Control Question Backwards

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are two cables coming out of the control,which is for shifting and which is for the throttle ? How do i tell what is what without taking the control apart. Anybody?? HELP

Last edited:

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC side mount Control Question Backwards

Let me Re-phrase :Which cable goes to Throttle and which goes to shift?? Motor is a 1989 110hp Evinrude. How do you tell?:(

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC_Control.jpgIts gotta be easy. Anybody??

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

When you move the control forward slowly, the shift cable will be the one that moves first.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you move the control forward slowly, the shift cable will be the one that moves first.

rickdb1boat- Thanks i appreciate it! i think i have them backwards

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When the control is in neutral the cable that is fully retracted at the motor end is the throttle cable. The one that's in the middle of the throw is the shift cable.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you move the warm-up lever, the only throttle cable will move...

hidef

Lieutenant

When you mount the cables adjust the cables to fit the outboard do not adjust the linkages on the outboard to fit the cables. I always use the warm up lever to determine which one is the throttle cable.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone for the help i do have the cables connected correctly now i just need to find out why i can't get it to return back to idle without manually pushing it against the block.I read where you adjust the cable to the motor and not the motor to the cable but i just can't adjust the thing correctly when i move the control forward and then back to neutral.I always seem to have about a 1/4 inch spacing no matter how i adjust the cable it always idles about 200-300 rpm higher.

I am wondering with the spark advance or something is sticking and not allowing it to return to idle via the control.Not sure if its the control,cable or an adjustment that needs to be made on the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also have a worn cable with that much slop in it.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

i hear yea the cables are new,so i don't htink that's it and i don't see the linkage binding anywhere however i don't know enough about how these engines operate other than the factory service manual.I wish somebody had a Youtube video on how to adjust Evinrude shift and throttle cables.