1966 Evinrude 100 hp spark plug wires

jbrow0723

Recruit
Hi all,

Really hoping someone can help me here. I have a 1966 Evinrude 100hp v-4 that I am trying to get running. When I bought the boat, the guy told me he ran the boat all day a few weeks ago with no problems. He didnt have a battery for the boat and couldnt start it for me...so of course I bought it. Any way. I opened the engine cover to clean the spark plugs because the boat wanted to start but just wouldnt stay running. Turns out this engine has the threaded wire coupling, and the guy had just put normal plug wires on it and pushed them up against the cap leads...no shock it didnt start. I bought the threaded couplers and some wire and plug ends to get the wires back to right, but in my haste I realized I didnt know the lengths of the leads were, and I didnt see spending 30 bucks a wire. Can anyone please tell me what the two lengths of the leads are? The OEM part numbers are 580329 and 580425. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you!

Joel

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1966 Evinrude 100 hp spark plug wires

I just compare them to the old wires or just route the wires in the holders and then cut them to lenth.
You did get the solid copper core wires, correct?

jbrow0723

Recruit

I got wire from my local Napa...it doesnt look like copper. It says "High Heat Metallic". Will that cause a problem?

The wires that are on the engine now are not the original. I think the person before me bought a cheap set of auto wires and just put those on.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to use copper or stainless steel core wire, copper is what it came with. Don't use the carbon fiber wire. Just strip back the insulation a little and you can tell what core you have. Do you have the tool to crimp on the screw in terminals in the dist cap?

jbrow0723

Recruit

I have a couple of different crimping tools. I was going to solder the wire to the connector. I wasnt aware there was a special tool for that time of connector. Guess I'm in over my head here.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you got a local repair shop, I bet they could crimp the terminals for you. I don't see how you could solder the wire to the terminal without damaging the insulation on the wire.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The wires can be soldered to the screw in terminals. Joe Reeves has the trick on how to do it.