1975 85hp Evinrude looking to upgrade old Control box

Big_mac4u

Cadet
I'm currently in the middle of a long restoration project and was looking to upgrade my old control box that came stock with my 1975 85hp Evinrude with a new side control box. I have the cables and wiring harness that came stock but I would like to mount my ignition into the dashboard and just have throttle and trim controls on the side with this new box.

Also this motor didn't come with trim so any suggestions on a jack plate or used trim would be great

If you guys have any suggestions for either of these questions I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 85hp Evinrude looking to upgrade old Control box

The mechanical shift control boxes all have the same engine wire harness plug up through 1996. Any box will run your engine. A couple of differences. The throttle/shift cables all changed in 1979. The cable ends are different from 79 on. That may may a difference if you are trying to use a 79 and up control box. One of the experts may know if you can adapt a later box to your engine. All of the key switches are in the control box, but you might be able to re-locate it if you are electrically inclined. As the control boxes get newer, more of them may have a trim switch at the top of the handle-a nice feature if you have the trim system. OMC made an optional external-mount power trim system in 1975 which will work on your engine. It's been discontinued for many, many years-but you may find a serviceable unit on a junk salvage engine. It's worth a look.