1967 60hp evinrude sportfour no spark

friend-ship

Cadet
I just obtained a 1967 60hp evinrude sportfour, the starter works and I got power at the ignition/coil terminal but no spark in the plugs, there is a wire coming from the safety switch next to the distributor it seen to belong on the solenoid but I am not sure which terminal? does this affect whether i get a spark or not? also is it possible to find a free electric diagram?

I appreciate jour help and expertise friend-ship

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 60hp evinrude sportfour no spark

The safety switch simply engages or disconnects the starter solenoid electric starter setup. It does not affect the ignition.

You say you have "power at the ignition/coil terminal". If you mean to say that you have "spark" at the coil's main terminal button BUT no spark to the coil wire terminals when the distributor is assembled..... then the problem is a rotor that is shorting out to the steel shaft upon which it sits. Replace the rotor.

Now, the rotors differ between the magneto ignition setup and the automotive ignition setup AND they are not interchangeable! DO NOT let some uninformed "mechanic" tell you otherwise.

Magneto rotor = 580260 (Wide hook like appearance on business end)

Automotive rotor = 580338 (Standard appearance on business end)