1990 40 hp johnson with primer switch/solenoid?

atsmaboat

Cadet
This motor is a tiller model (elec start) so it has a primer switch/button on the steering handle bracket...anyway this motor will start with red switch on solenoid in manual...but won't start when trying the prime button (the actual, correct way.) I tested ohms at the solenoid which manual said to do & got a correct reading 5.5. What I'm looking for is a couple of things...
1. If I go to remove the solenoid, should battery be disconnected or doesn't matter?
2. Should I be hearing a click at solenoid when pressing the button...right now I don't / can't because operator's guide says only press button when cranking motor...so it's kinda tough to hear.
3. Is there a quick way to test just the button/switch...and wouldn't you know they are unavailable for purchase from most sites I've looked at...so I'm hoping that's not it.
4. Can you just pry the rubber hood off the switch or is there some special way to access the switch? Tips on removing it from steering bracket would be great.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

atsmaboat

Cadet
Re: 1990 40 hp johnson with primer switch/solenoid?

No replies -- so I'm on day 2 of this primer solenoid issue...just wondering if anyone can help on how to test the wiring from the button to the solenoid itself...I've unscrewed it from the steering bracket and took rubber boot off & cleaned contacts but now I would like to test if it is getting any current to the solenoid. Also took off solenoid & the two tiny nozzles broke off into the tubing to the carbs so I know I at least need that part...but if solenoid is a.o.k. electrically...which I haven't determined yet...I would only have to spend about 10 bucks on this fix rather than 100+. Please help...thnx

atsmaboat

Cadet

Just in case anyone needs info on this...I fixed this problem I had & only spent ~ $15. So here we go answering my own ?'s & with photos.
Hope this helps others.

HPIM0417.jpg

To answer ? #1 above...doesn't matter. Q #2 you should be able to press the button for the primer without cranking the motor & hear a DEFINITE click.

HPIM0418.jpg

#3 You can remove the button & 2 wires by removing plactic nut under steering/tiller bracket...and rubber boot comes off with some prying ... I used a small screwdrv....I cleaned the 2 contacts under the button, cleaned the circular contact w/in the button and tested the wires by connecting them directly to a 12 v batt.

HPIM0419.jpg

#4 Be very careful taking out the primer solenoid as there are 2 nozzles that come off of there that send fuel to the carbs...& both nozzles broke off when I tried to remove the p.s.

HPIM0420.jpgHPIM0421.jpg

Anyway, I was able to fix this by cleaning out everything connected to the primer solenoid...I had nothing when I started as far as clicks in the p.s. & motor would only start in manual mode...I'm a pretty happy camper right now cuz I thought I was on my way to a new p.s. which are anywhere from 150 - 200 bucks. :)

Rick.

Captain

Well done. Glad your back up and running. Not all threads get answered I guess but most do. You will be able to help the next guy and your pictures certainly help. Best of luck. Rick.