Johnson 115 rough running problem - charge coil and power pack questions

rkdygert

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I have a 2004 115 V4 (J115PLSRC) that is running rough, mainly noticeable at low (less than 1000) RPM. I have the OEM manual and have checked compression (good), set and checked timing, adjusted the idle needle valves to the best idle condition I can get, but it still runs rough (though at the correct idle RPM ~650)...seems to be dropping cylinders randomly.

Pulling plug wires off while running, it seems to me that the port cylinders are doing more than the starboard pair since the port cyls cause a greater drop in RPM than the starbd cyls. If I hold the boot off the end of the plug and let the spark jump through air, I can get the cylinders to fire better and more reliably so I'm starting to think it may be an ignition problem. I checked the power pack running output and it measures ~100V on a peak reading Fluke meter (manual says it should read 130V) on all cyls.

From there, the manual then says to check the charge coil; it has a cranking output of 300V (manual calls for >250) so we're good there. Here's my problem; the manual has two checks for stator grounding; one is to connect peak voltmeter to ground and test cranking voltage at brown and brown/white stator leads...if there is any reading on either wire, manual says stator or leads is grounded...there is a reading (very low ~1-2V). The other test is to check for continuity between ground and the brown wire and between ground and the brown/white wire...i get no continuity there at all.

So since both stator ground tests contradict eachother, where should I go from here? Is it possible that the low powerpack output voltage could be causing a weak spark resulting in the rough running condition?

Any input is appreciated...
-Ryan