1981 Evinrude 35 hp gear shift stuck in forward

valenvb

Recruit
The gearshift on my 1981 35 Evinrude is stuck in the forward position. It started by not being able to go into reverse, and then(after about 15 min) i could not put it into neutral. The water pump was just replaced. I have tried changing gears manually with someone turning the flywheel, but it will not change. Any suggestions are welcome, Thanks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 Evinrude 35 hp gear shift stuck in forward

Does the shift lever move? If it does and the engine stays in forward it sounds like the linkage between the lever and the gearcase is uncoupled. On the gearcase there are the water intake screens. There are two screws, one on each side of the plastic inlets. Remove them and remove the inlets. In there you will find the coupler.

valenvb

Recruit

No, the lever does not move. It comes close, but it is unable to settle into neutral.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Well before I tell you to pull the gearcase off Check to see if the shift interlocks are free. On this engine, there should be a plate on the armature plate that moves as the spark is advanced. it is designed to prevent the engine from being shifted in of out of gear if the throttle is advance beyond a certain point. It is on the starboard side of the engine.