1988 Evinrude 225 hp takes forever to start

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This outboard was starting after just a few cranks before. I ended up not using it for about five weeks and when I finally did it took probably 30-45 minutes of cranking, letting it sit, cranking, etc...finally it started and ran good. The next day, same thing happened and it took just as long or even longer to finally get it started. Anyway now that I've brought the boat home from the marina and fully charged the battery, starter spins fast but does drop down here and there even thought the ignition key is still turned it starting position. I replaced the plugs with the recommended plugs and set at .030 even though the plugs i pulled out were gapped at .040. Anyway engine is doing the same thing just cranks and cranks. Pulled all the plugs and they were wet so i know I'm getting fuel. Checked a couple of the plugs up against the block and there is a faint spark. Not sure if I'm getting enough spark maybe. Guy I bought bought from did a compression check and said all was good with that and I believe him. Seems like all this started after boat had been left sitting for five weeks. Once engine finally starts and i shut her down, it always starts right back up. Also noticed a couple of times while moving in a no wake zone that engine would speed up on its own, surge i guess you would call it. Am going to check plugs for spark tonight after its dark to better see as its hard in the daylight. Please if anybody has any ideas let me know. Thanks

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1988 Evinrude 225 hp takes forever to start

You need to get an in-line spark checker at auto supply house and see if each wire will jump a 7/16th inch gap with a bright blue spark. Auto Zone charged me $9.00 for the checker which is the only way to tell if you have a strong spark. Also, you are priming with the bulb and then holding your ignition switch in when cranking the engine?

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need to get an in-line spark checker at auto supply house and see if each wire will jump a 7/16th inch gap with a bright blue spark. Auto Zone charged me $9.00 for the checker which is the only way to tell if you have a strong spark. Also, you are priming with the bulb and then holding your ignition switch in when cranking the engine?

yes i will check on the spark tester, yes am priming it and holding switch in when cranking, its getting plenty of fuel, im sure if i keep doing the crank, let sit, crank let sit, it will eventually start as before, just don't want to keep doing that, think starter is already going bad from it or it would stay fully engaged while key is in start position,almost seems like after doing it this way things start to heat up in engine, then out of no where it fires right up.

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i will check on the spark tester, yes am priming it and holding switch in when cranking, its getting plenty of fuel, im sure if i keep doing the crank, let sit, crank let sit, it will eventually start as before, just don't want to keep doing that, think starter is already going bad from it or it would stay fully engaged while key is in start position,almost seems like after doing it this way things start to heat up in engine, then out of no where it fires right up.

tried just awhile ago, its trying but no go yet

Will Bark

Lieutenant

What happens if you don't engage the primer at all when first starting?

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

same thing just cranks and cranks

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after boat had been sitting a few hours, pulled a spark plug out to check the spark, cranked engine and quite abit of gas sprayed out the spark plug hole, put plug back in and was able to start engine, out of curiosity i pushed in the key and it killed the engine right away, was able to start it again and checked for and have good spark on all cylinders, so doesn't seem like a spark issue, more like engine is flooding or something right off the bat, and curious as to why activated the primer solenoid which i should be able to do while engine is running that it kills the engine, also checked DCV at batteries while engine was running and all i got on multimeter was a OL....something like that

Will Bark

Lieutenant

When engine is warm and running pushing the primer in should kill the engine since it is flooding it. With the engine off and the ignition on and you push the primer in do you hear a click or just silence? If you don't hear a click could your primer solenoid be stuck open?

tmise

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no the engine doesn't shut off like its flooding out, it shuts off pretty much instantly, like it has a short...kind of explains why it will crank and crank and not start because pushing it in is causing it to short out and at the same time its flooding the engine...then eventually since it has all that fuel in the combustion chamber and then i stop pushing the key in, it will fire up...also once it does fire up and i shut it back down i don't push the key in and it starts right back up every time...that's what i believe, that there is a short somewhere because it shouldn't shut down the engine instantly like that...will have to check out the wiring and/or replace the ignition switch...and yes to your question the primer solenoid is working when i push the key in