1989 Evinrude 40 tell tale?

Trktrd

Cadet
This is my first outboard, but I do know there should be a tell tale stream of water from the lower shroud. Not in this case. Once I got the boat home first thing I did was replace the impeller and housing. It was not in horrrible shape, but I changed it anyway for piece of mind. The fitting on the port side of the engine where I THINK the tell tale should be connected to has a small hose connected to it that goes to a "water" gauge on the dash. Is this normal for this engine? It is a Pontoon boat and a tell tale would not be readily visible anyway, is this the reason for the gauge?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Evinrude 40 tell tale?

No that is the tell tail. If want to both run pressure and tell tail, you will have to drill a 1/8" pipe thread in the block on the top of the port side water passage musure in from the back 1" from the side 3/4" than drill and tap.
Note you can't just tee into it, than you your pressure gauge won't work.

NovaNewfie

Cadet

If the gauge works then you don't need the tell tale. If you wanted you could take the hose of the gauge and discharge the water overboard from the dash location so you could visibly see if it was pumping.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes you can, and that's a dam good idea.

Trktrd

Cadet

Thanks. The gauge is working so I'll leave it as is.

Trktrd

Cadet

What kind of readings should I see on the water gauge?