1971 6hp Johnson tiller slide shift???

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked up this 1971 6hp johnson today, model number 6RL71G and it has this odd slide shift tiller on it that I have never seen before. You push the button on the tiller and pull to put it in forward and or push the button in and push the handle back toward the motor to go in reverse. Has anyone seen this on these older motor's before? It looks stock, like the motor came from the factory this way but I have just never seen one anywhere. Maybe it is common on this year or model?
DSCN6850.jpgDSCN6851.jpgDSCN6854.jpgDSCN6857.jpg

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 6hp Johnson tiller slide shift???

I have never seen that before, and i have a 1968 same HP. Not sure if that is a wicked cool mod or whatnot...........

It definitly looks pretty cool......... at first, i thought the red button was the kill switch ...............

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah it is actually very functional. If it is an aftermarket mod it was done very well because it really looks like it came off the line like this. I got it from and elderly lady who knew nothing about it. It took me awhile to even figure out how to shift it. I did not think motor's this early had anything like a tiller shift so I was really baffled at first as to what I was dealing with. Matter of fact I got the motor really cheap because I explained to the lady that the motor wasn't shifting properly. :facepalm: Once I got it home and tinkered with it for a few and figured it out I had a good laugh. It had been sitting in her garage for 15+ years so I wasn't even sure it would run. But the darn thing starts on a half pull everytime and purrs like a kitten. I just need to replace the impeller now and clean the carb maybe.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

yep, check out the LU, replace the water PUMP, change fuel lines, rebuild the carb, and you have one awesome machine............

how awesome, you ask??

WICKED AWESOME!!!!

i would not be surprised if this was a collectible motor ?????

nwcove

Admiral

i would guess that the motor was originally a sailboat kicker, and the tiller shift is an add on. whether it is an omc part or aftermarket....i havent a clue. does look cool tho!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It was an OMC Accessory kit. Sometimes unoficially called a Shotgun Shifter Kit. Didn't sell very well, and probably why nobody knows what it is now.

Attachments

• shotgun shifter.bmp
    111.7 KB · Views: 0

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome info F_R..... thank you so much :) I couldn't find anything about it. It actually works well so I am surprised it didn't sell much. Looks like it has been on the motor since it was new and it still works just fine 41 years later. Do you think there is any value in having this accessory on this motor F_R? I mean if it breaks I doubt there is any parts you could find to fix it huh.....