1961 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp getting hot

philsky

Cadet
Put new head gasket and impeller, cleaned and checked all water passages and found no obstructions. Started motor and removed flush screw at top of body and water came out great. Shut motor off and took off lower unit, hooked up water hose to water pick up tube and started motor again and shot temp gage and got a reading of 124-135. Shut motor off again, put lower unit back on, started it up and shot temp gage again and got a reading of 185-200. Don't understand why it's getting hot when I put the lower unit back on. Please help me before I lose my mind!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1961 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp getting hot

Where is it 185-200 (deg F) at? That motor has some very hot spots, for instance the exhaust plate. Is water coming out of the port at the front of the midsection?

lindy46

Captain

Should be some small holes/slots on the mid-section where water sprays out. Not much spray at all - more like a mist. Those motors do run rather hot compared to the larger motors. Run it in the lake for a while. If it runs ok, and doesn't sputter and die, you're probably ok.

kbait

Commander

Agree w/Lindy^. They are warmer blooded. No thermostat, just the little holes in head gasket to restrict flow. Run it and let it idle slow for a few minutes and splash some water near the spark plug bases. If no boil, you're all good. It's normal to not be able to grasp the plug bases for very long at all when at operating temp. Most thermostat motors.. you can grab the plug bases for a few seconds before uncomfortably hot, those 3's, much less. If the water boils, you have an obstruction somewhere.

Good luck!

philsky

Cadet

I will try to run it a bit at slow speed and see how it goes.What is the maximum temp to run the motor?thanks again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Depends on where you are measuring it. As already pointed out, it will be hot as blazes on the exhaust cover and around the spark plugs. Hot enough to singe your hide and flash boil water. Those areas are not water cooled, and there is fire on the other side.

If water is spraying out the relief holes, it probably is ok. Exception: Those motors are noted for bending the water tube as you push the lower unit up & on. Then the bent tube rubs on the spinning drive shaft, wearing a hole in the tube. When that happens, water spills out the hole and is blown out the relief holes without ever going through the power head. That fools you into thinking it is pumping just fine, bit it really isn't.

Moral: Lubricate the pump grommet before inserting water tube.

philsky

Cadet
1961 evinrude 3hp lightwin getting hot

1961 evinrude 3hp lightwin getting hot

I will check the water pickup tube and inspect to see if there is a hole in it or not.That makes sense.Thanks.