Evinrude Zephyr 4 cylinder

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
I have a chance to pick up an Evinrude Zephyr (40's vintage); 4 cylinder motor. It's seized from sitting and the owner told me it was; when running; the smoothest running motor he had ever seen. I have a chance to pick it up for $20. I've read that these were dogs and to stay away from them. I'd like some more expert advice before I bother. I probably should pick it up just to part it out for that price.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Zephyr 4 cylinder

For the price, buy it and part it out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buy it and fix it. That was such a smooth runner it would blow your mind. Rode with one back in the late 40s and thought it was electric it was so smooth.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I agree, they were great when they were running properly but when you had probs they could turn into a real bear.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

<--------------------- That Zephyr right there, was the motor that got me started in collecting antique outboards. :D:D
It's a steal for $20. I do like the design and like JB said, they are smoothe runners. If it's stuck, pour some 50/50 ATF and acetone in all 4 spark plug holes and just let it set for a few days. Motors that are stuck from sitting, typically will be okay to return to service, once they're freed up and running again.