1973 johnson 65 hp

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it true on these motors you can start them without the wire harness hooked up? Someone told me that the cdi box will supply spark as soon as the flywheel is turned by jumping power from the starter solenoid and grounding it out?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 johnson 65 hp

If I remember correctly, if you disconnect the cannon plug and jump the starter they will start, but the only way to shut it down is to choke it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is it true on these motors you can start them without the wire harness hooked up? Someone told me that the cdi box will supply spark as soon as the flywheel is turned by jumping power from the starter solenoid and grounding it out?

Don't know exactly what you are saying there, but what Daviet says is true. Believe it or not, you can even rope start it. Caution: The battery cables must be properly connected or you will blow the charging system. Yes, the ignition is self powered and no outside battery connections to it are required--in fact will damage it.

TampaNate77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well some mechanic told me to start it before i went out and bought a control box for it.... So if there is anything wrong with the motor I wouldnt wanna waste putting anymore money into it.