Does a 1977 85 hp Evinrude have a tell tale?

dwilley

Seaman Apprentice
My cousin just aquired a 1977 Evinrude 85 hp model 85799S. We haven't been able to find a tell tale anywhere. When on muffs it pees from a hole on the front of the gear case but it is under the water line. We checked the impeller and it looked fine but I would like to have a way to make sure it is pumping water. I haven't ever seen an outboard without a tell tale. Thanks for the help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Does a 1977 85 hp Evinrude have a tell tale?

They diddn't install tell-tales until the middle 80's i think. You can install one if you want, run a search, there are several posts on how to do it.

BonairII

Commander

I highly recommend adding a telltale. While a telltale can't guarantee that your engine is actually cooling....at least it tells you that your impeller is pumping water.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The telltale came out in 1978. You may be able to replace the outer exhaust cover with a used one from a 78 and newer, which has the telltale hole already plumbed into it. Should be many, many available from marine salvage yards. On your engine, there is one way to tell if the thermostats have opened and if it's pumping water. Start the engine cold. Hold the palm of your hand back by the two exhaust relief holes at the top of the midsection. After about 30 seconds or so, the stat (vernatherm) will open. When it opens, water droplets will form on the palm of your hand, from the light mist which will come out of the ports. That's normal and shows that water is circulating through the powerhead.

BonairII

Commander

there is one way to tell if the thermostats have opened

.....by replacing the existing stat(s) with brand new. ;):p

Never trust a unknown t-stat. JMO

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You cannot test a water pump by running on muffs. Water would circulate through it even if you completely removed the impeller.

So, with that fact in mind, here is what you should expect while running on muffs. Water should blow out the two holes in the rear of the midsection. It will vary from very little to a spray, according to several variables. Or possibly not at all if running on muffs. But water should be blowing out of the propeller, along with the exhaust. Water will also squirt out a bunch of other various holes in the lower end.

Now: Are you ready to make a meaningful test? Then put the boat in the water and start it up. After a few seconds, you should see a light spray of water coming out those two holes in the rear. That is your "tell tale". The amount of spray varies according to variables including thermostat position, speed, lake temperature, etc. Don't get all hung up worrying about it.