Problems starting my '05 Johnson J90PLSOA & Parts Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

colding

Seaman
Yesterday, I had my family out at the river tubing and such all day long with no issues whatsoever. This morning I planned a fishing trip with my father. He backed the truck in for me while I'm in the boat to launch. Well, he backs it down and I go to start it up. My normal procedure for starting which has worked well in the past is, prime the bulb, turn the key with the choke pushed in and keep it that way until it tries to fire up for the first time, which isn't usually long at all, then turn it one more time without the choke pushed it and it fires right up (sometimes it fires up while choking it). This morning, however, it kept turning over for a while before it tried to start. Then, each attempt turning the key, the motor would fire off for just a split second and die right out. I did this for almost an hour, never getting it to stay cranked more than a second or two. So, now I start looking for problems. First I check the water/fuel separator... clean fuel (same fuel from the day before when it ran fine). Pull the cowling off the motor, remove the air breather and look for leaks. I see none. I remove the fuel line going into the fuel filter and pump the bulb... clean fuel shoots out like it's supposed to. Now I unscrew the plastic cap holding the fuel filter on and remove the filter. Looks a tad dirty, but I've seen worse. I was able to easily blow through it. It has two rubber rings to help seal it when you put the cap over it and one looks a little deformed (not a perfect circle). I proceed to put the filter and cap back on, and wanting to make sure I get it sealed, I over-tightened the cap and it broke. Fishing trip over.

Obviously, I know I need to replace the cap and filter. I have those in my shopping cart right now. It could be as simple as the rubber ring on the filter tube, but since this boat/motor is relatively new to me (bought it 3 months ago and have had it out about 9 or 10 times with no issues), I was wondering if I should go ahead and order a carb rebuild kit. I also wanted to know if there is a way to similarly rebuild the fuel/oil pump with a kit? If so, I'm not finding any kits to order from any of the usual places. Any suggestions on what else I should look for?

Also, I noticed there is a 'service valve' in the front of the motor. What, exactly, is this used for?

I also want to order the proper maintenance manual for my motor. Does anyone have a suggestion to which one I should get and where I can get it from?

Sorry for being so long-winded!

colding

Seaman
Re: Problems starting my '05 Johnson J90PLSOA & Parts Question

Is the fuel/oil pump even serviceable?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have the same outboard. I have issue with port temp switch, part#0585023, that seems to be obsolete and having very difficult time finding, any suggestions?
Start your own thread this is 6 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.