1968 Evinrude Oil Line Hose

tbharris

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a 1968 Evinrude 18 Model 18802M with very low hours. I have been working on what sounds like a lean sneeze, and not so smooth acceleration to no avail. The motor has plenty of power, full speed is great, and it starts on the first pull. Carb has been cleaned properly with a rebuild kit, gas/oil is clean and fresh, compression is 110 top, 108 bottom, plugs are new correct J4J. I have adjusted the low speed needle to 2 turns, then followed the OEM service nmanual for fine tuning. What I found is that the Oil Line Hose (# 62 on the parts list) is split at the lower portion near the nipple. After removal, the engine does not run any differntly. I have 2 questions:

1. Will this interefere with idling?
2. Can I replace this without removing the powerhead? It seems very difficult to get to in place.

Thank you in advance!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 Evinrude Oil Line Hose

1. Possibly. It will allow air to enter the crankcase, diluting the fuel/air ratio coming from the carburetor

2. I think it should be possible.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 Evinrude Oil Line Hose

Oil settles in the bottom of the crankcase area due to gravity. With the help of pressure differentials, oil hose transports it up to the upper main bearing to lubricate it. Gravity alone doesn't do a very good job where the oil has to go upward.