1993 johnson 48 special reverse lockdown

tiger6

Cadet
When I got this pontoon the motor wouldn't go into the lower position. Someone told to drill a hole into the cylinder, so I did. Well it let it go down, but now the motor wants to come up in reverse. Any fixes for this problem?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1993 johnson 48 special reverse lockdown

It sounds like you are going to need a new tilt cylinder and then find out what is wrong with the tilt lock system. Did you check the tilt lock system to see what was wrong with it before you drilled a hole in the cylinder?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You're going to need a new tilt cyl 'cause the cyl was also your lock down.

tlt9mm1965

Recruit

Had the same issue
Basically the cable housing was cracked, so when you moved the release lever
the cable that releases the pressure valve on the cyclinder was going through the case.
Replaced the cable, and cured the issue.
Now that you have drolled a hole in the cyclinder, that will need to be either replaced, or you may get away
will patching with some JB weld.
Good luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The factory will tell you it's a non-serviceable item and not to mess with it as it has a lot of pressure in it.

tiger6

Cadet

Is there any way like using heavy duty bungee cord to run across to help keep the motor from coming up? Just looking for any options. Their proud of that cylinder if you go price one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

All you could do is try it and see what happens. Yes they are proud of that cyl, as I priced one.