1987 Johnson 15hp recoil spring HELP!

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an issue with the recoil spring carrier housing. I was pulling on my rope and the recoil spring broke. So I ordered a new spring and installed it (After some very bad words, and temper-tantrums) . I installed the carrier, and all of the other mounting extras, and pulled on it. It pulled out about half way and stopped. No rewind, no nothing. I took back off and discovered that the part of the spring that sticks out of the carrier had pulled back into the carrier. I have been fooling with it back and forth and it is the same thing every time. Have I missed something here? I installed spring, and then wrapped the chord around the chord holder. Wrapped it tight. So that when I pull it will tension the spring and recoil it back in.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Johnson 15hp recoil spring HELP!

There's a site called "LeeRoy's Ramblings that has all sorts of information about
these motors. Specifically, if you look about 1/3 of the way through this one:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson%209.9_15.htm

you'll see this topic: "Replacing the Manual Starter Rope or Spring". It'll tell you
any special tricks in this replacement.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I thought I could fix this too. buy a new cup and your problems are solved.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome information! didnt see my issue, but I noticed some info I needed! Thanks!

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought I could fix this too. buy a new cup and your problems are solved.

Yea seems like that is what I am going to have to do. I have tried everything. I though about foldint the outside over, or even tacking it in place. Do you think that could work?

Rick.

Captain

A manual gives you great instruction on how to replace the spring. By your description there may not be enough tension on the spring to pull everything back into shape. As far as the spring end pulling into the cup I have had that problem. What I did was make a nice coil of spring inset a 1/4 inch copper tube into the circle and then put a tie wrap through the copper and clamp it inside the spring coil. Has never pulled in since because it can't. Best f luck. Rick.

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A manual gives you great instruction on how to replace the spring. By your description there may not be enough tension on the spring to pull everything back into shape. As far as the spring end pulling into the cup I have had that problem. What I did was make a nice coil of spring inset a 1/4 inch copper tube into the circle and then put a tie wrap through the copper and clamp it inside the spring coil. Has never pulled in since because it can't. Best f luck. Rick.

you are right on the tension part. It is because the outside part pulls into the retainer cup and loses all of the tension. I am intersted in the solution you are posing. I dont think I quite understand it though. What do you mean by making a nice coil of spring? Are you saying coil it up inside? Also when you say a tie wrap through are you saying through the center of the cup and back through the copper tubing?

Rick.

Captain

I'll try again. The loop that is supposed to be outside the cup is the coil I referred to. I put a small piece of copper tubing inside that loop. Then I use a tie wrap to hold the copper tube in the spring coil/loop. Then the coil/loop can't unravel and slip back into the cup. Rick.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

What I do is heat the spring end that sticks out with a propane torch then roll it like a can of spam a couple of times, then fold that over to lay on the side of the cup, this repair has always worked for me. good luck

dadtodc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried the 1/4' copper tubing. It was to big. I also tried a screw. No matter what I did it seems like it pulls out. I believe my problem may be that the spring I used to replace is just to long, and puts way to much tension on the cup. I bought an evinrude same make and model for 40 bucks from a boat mechanic. I switched the cups and it works fine now. I will just use for parts. Thanks for all of the help.

Rick.

Captain

You will save lots of money with a spare. Forty is a good deal for sure. Rick.