72 Johnson 125HP - Connecting Lower Unit to powerhead

LOSTBOATER72

Seaman Apprentice
I just finished replacing the waterpump/impeller on my 72 Johnson and went to put the lower unit back in and found that I need to have someone to turn the flywheel to match the splines on the driveshaft to get it back in. That seems simple enough. My concern is connecting the water tubes from the upper unit into the water pump on the lower unit. It seems there is no easy way to do it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks all for your time!

Sincerely,
LostBoater72

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 72 Johnson 125HP - Connecting Lower Unit to powerhead

The lower unit should be in forward, just turn the prop to align the splines.
Are the water tube guides in place on top of the pump housing, they align the water tubes with the pump.

LOSTBOATER72

Seaman Apprentice

tHE WATER PUMP ITSELF HAS A METAL BRACKET ON TOP THAT HOLDS THE SHIFT WIRE BUT THERE ARE NO GUIDES ABOVE THAT. sHOULD THERE BE GUIDES ABOVE THE WATER PUMP ITSELF? This is the first time the water pump or impeller has ever been replaced since 1972, my father was the second owner at 1 year old and I am the third as of about 1990. When I took off the lower unit I did not see or find any guides to connect the water tubes from the upper unit to the water pump in the lower.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look at the water tubes in the mid section, on mine the guides stick to the water tubes and I have to retrieve them. They are just thin wall plastic and only about 2" long and sometimes hard to see.

LOSTBOATER72

Seaman Apprentice

ok so one of the tubes was at the very top of the water pipe so I just ordered a new one. I was able to get the tubes connected but doing so with a very heavy lower unit and having someone try to turn the flywheel is no fun chore and from multiple tries I have done almost impossible. Any suggestions???? I cannot turn the prop either way at the moment.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That mtr is normally locked in fwd gr when not running.

LOSTBOATER72

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to get the prop to turn with a little energy, I did not want to force it but I think using the frop to turn the driveshaft will be much easier than trying to have someone else turn the flywheel. I will let you know how it goes...

LOSTBOATER72

Seaman Apprentice

ok gave this another try and no luck. I have read around on multiple sites that the engine must be vertical for install for outboards. If this the case with my engine. I have been attempting to install it at full tilt to line up the water tubes, get the shift wires up through and then get the splines lined up. If the engine has to be vertical then that is where I am off. Please let me know otherwise I will be calling around to find someone who can attach my lower unit to my upper unit as losing valuable summer water time.... not much left. THANKS!

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It isn't necessary for the motor to be vertical to reinstall the lower unit. They can be a hassle but its done all the time. In the future, when you drop the lower unit tie some string to the shift wires before you drop it, it'll make getting them back easier.