Help with parts for remote control on '77 Johnson 9.9

JoshGuitar

Cadet
I'm about ready to give up and buy some nice oars :redface:

Along with a 70HP Johnson, I have a '77 Johnson 9.9 on my boat. The bracket that mounts it to the transom is a '74 though, but as far as I can tell those are identical - problem is, that's caused tons of confusion both with myself and with previous owners. The model number on the bracket is for a '74, and the model number on top of the engine is a '77. Every problem I've had with this motor so far has been from somebody using incompatible '74 parts.

Now that I have everything running nicely with tiller control, I want to get it hooked up to remote controls. So I bought a second control box, model 0172079, and then spent a small fortune on all the other necessary parts. I got some type 400 cables from iboats, and I bought basically every other part that attaches to the cables in this diagram:
convertremote.jpg

Problem is, nothing seems to line up right with the cables. My motor seems to have all the parts from the left side of this diagram, up to and including #1:
convert.jpg

Then it seems to have mostly everything on the right hand side of this diagram (#1, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 14):
convert74.jpg

For the shifter, it seems like the bracket the stationary part of the cable clamps to was too short, so there is no possible way for the cable to move to the right position for the shifter to go into forward gear. Because of the '74 vs '77 confusion, I thought the problem was that I had the wrong bracket (#18 in the 2nd diagram), and that I needed the longer one (#10 in the 3rd diagram). I temporarily cut out a piece of steel to extend that bracket and try to make things work, and it does make everything line up, and the shifter side of the equation is fine now.

As for the throttle, I turned the star wheel to adjust the cable end to be as long as possible, and it still wouldn't reach the throttle arm on the motor. I actually went so far as to disassemble the cable and flip the wheel around, and now it's almost long enough. I can get it to connect and move the throttle arm, but I still can't adjust the idle high enough to keep it running. The only way I can get it to start is to disconnect the shift cable, push the throttle to forward / half throttle, and turn the key.

Then I realized that part of my problem was, again, the '74 vs '77 confusion, and that maybe I need the #0387763 adapter kit (second diagram). Everything on the left side of the diagram seems to already be on my motor, but I'm guessing I need everything to the right of #1 to get it to connect right.

So I guess my 2 questions are:

1) Will the parts in the second diagram be the only things I still need to get everything hooked up?
2) Can somebody please post pictures of how everything goes together on the throttle and shift linkages for a '77 motor?

After I get this working, my next adventure will be cobbling together a remote choke setup so starting the motor will be a 1-person job with no running back and forth...wish me luck on that one :p

JoshGuitar

Cadet
Re: Help with parts for remote control on '77 Johnson 9.9

Anybody? Don't all answer at once :p