1982 Johnson 115 - One cylinder with no compression

MHHPartner

Recruit
While boating last weekend engine lost power at some point. Still sounded OK but would not pull tubers. No foreign noises or excess smoke. Ran compression check when I got home and had 3 cylinders at ~120 psi and one at 0 (didn't move gauge). Put some oil in cylinder and cranked again. Showed 30 psi. Pulled head. Head, piston crown, and cylinder all look perfect - no nicks, scoring, etc. Piston does not appear to have any more side play than the one right below it.

Has anyone ever seen a ring break and cause no visible damage? Or is there anything else that could cause this situation?

Thanks for any help or guidance.

silverfox441

Seaman
Re: 1982 Johnson 115 - One cylinder with no compression

Stuck/broken ring sounds about right. A cracked cylinder wall might not be visible but i don't know if that's possible on them engines.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the head gasket look like ??

MHHPartner

Recruit

What's the head gasket look like ??

Head gasket looked perfect. No signs of leakage.

I'm going to measure the bore today since I don't know all the history of this engine and see what my options are.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Dumb question, did you try another compression gauge ?? If it's a cheapo they can take a dump.

MHHPartner

Recruit

Sorry, folks. Found the cylinder damage tonight. Broken ring over a port. Somehow missed it in the shadows during my first inspection.

Thanks for your replies. My apologies for wasting your time.