2002 Johnson- Oil leaking out of carb/air intake area?

gamespanker

Cadet
First, let me say that I do not know much about boats.

I noticed that I had a little oil in the bottom when I take cowling off. I took off the "air silencer assembly" any was able to tell that the oil was coming from the carburetors (I guess that is the air intake portion of the carbs).

Also, it should be noted that my oil pump has been removed and I mix the oil with the gas, but this is kind of green and very thick, like oil you would put in your car. Anyone have in ideas?

Also, the boat dies very easy. When I first start it in the morning, if fires right up, but as they day goes on, it runs worse, It will idle in neutral and what I go to take off it dies.

I should also point out that it gets run at low speeds a lot because a lake I like to fish is no wake.

Thanks for any help.

gamespanker

Cadet
Re: 2002 Johnson- Oil leaking out of carb/air intake area?

Bump again. Can someone show me a little love?

I have the same issue and found your thread by searching for the answer. I hope someone comes along and helps out, otherwise I'm going to take a video on mine coming from the carb cover drain hole and post it up on a new thread. Here's hoping you get it solved!

not at all, just a rainbow around my boat and a 'greenish' oily film to collect dirt under the cowling. I have a 79 100.

Just read your other post. Could be the reeds, I can't be sure. When I rebuilt the carbs I looked in there and everything seemed fine. Let us know if take her apart and inspect/replace those reeds.