1970 evinrude 115 electric shift stuck in drive

stratos88

Cadet
I have a 1970 evinrude 115 hp I just recently purchased for my dads stratos the motor runs great but we didn't check to see if it was going in the correct gear due to the water pump being out so we took off the lower unit and changed it but the electric shift is in the lower unit also and we had to remove it and I'm 90% sure we put it back correctly cause my dad was the one remembering how it came apart so we got it back together and it was pumping water but not changing gears so I checked the forum and put my green and blue wires to 12v to change the gear but all it did was burn up my jumper wire so now I am lost can y'all please help me fix this I would appreciate it

StarFox

Cadet
Re: 1970 evinrude 115 electric shift stuck in drive

Check to make sure it is full of lower unit oil... You couldve pinched a wire also causing a short to ground

stratos88

Cadet

Check to make sure it is full of lower unit oil... You couldve pinched a wire also causing a short to ground

Ok when u put the fluid in I used the pump and it started coming out of the fill hole that's means it's full right? And I know it is the correct fluid I will check the wires I just hope I can get away with not dropping the lower unit again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have the green/blue wires pinched to ground somewhere.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

you are aware that this gearcase will shift to forward whenever the engine stops running. It needs oil pressure to shift into neutral. Cranking speed is usually enough for it to shift. unless the engine is spinning fast enough to build up the pressure it doesn't matter whether or not you have power to the soliniods.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your gearcase uses electrical solenoids to activate valves inside a hydraulic pump that needs certain pressures to shift into neutral and higher pressure for reverse.

neutral is 12volts positive to the green wire and reverse is 12 volts to both green and blue wires - do not hook 12 volts to one wire and ground to the other.

stratos88

Cadet

Thank y'all for ur help I am going to drop the lower unit and check all the wires this weekend and see if I can get it to shift thank u again

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have a way to spin the driveshaft, you can bench test the shifting without the powerhead.

stratos88

Cadet

I'm not sure how to go about doing that so what would u recommend

stratos88

Cadet

Thanks guys for ur help I had to pull new wire to it and once I did that it is shifting like a champ plus added new fluid once again thank u