Evinrude 9.9 driveshaft stuck in powerhead

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have any proven tricks to free a stuck driveshaft? Previous owner said it wasn't pumping water so I pulled the LU and it was a B*H! The driveshaft ended up staying in the powerhead and I've tried clamping it with a vice grips (around a rag) and levering it out, I hit it with a torch, nothing seems to want to let it free. The mid and lower units had a lot of salt in them and there was no sacrificing zinc so I hope it didn't weld itself up there.

I'll pull the head if I need to..I'm hoping for an easier solution if anyone can help.

btw...it's a 1977, and yes, I have a new pin for the impeller.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 9.9 driveshaft stuck in powerhead

Im actually going through the same thing with an older 6hp right now.

I ripped the impeller housing with the impeller key seperating the gearcase from the exhaust housing. No biggy, have a spare.

Mine is hanging upside down right now, after soaking in PB Blaster. Hitting the drive shaft with an air hammer to vibrate it loose, which usually works, but this one sure is stubborn. Be sure to put padding under it in case it does fall.

Doing it for a friend too, figured Id have it done in an hour, Im going on many many hours, and many many beers!

Good luck to you, let us know how you do.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck HT. No good deed goes unpunished!

I read the technique you're using on another forum but that guy didn't have any luck either. He supposedly reattached the water pump without pulling the shaft. I'm guessing he was posting later on about a seized engine.

Anyway, I need to get it on the water by tomorrow so I figure it's worth a shot. I'll probably just tear the powerhead back off and blast it with solvent and hang it upside down. I've got a house full of people today for the 4th so if I can sneak away for an hour I can get it done.

Likewise - I'll post the conclusion. Good luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could mix up some ATF and Acetone 50:50 and try that for a solvent. The big thing here is Patience. Been there.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, B. ATF - Transmission fluid?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I discuss this on one of my Ramblings articles. Other than pulling the powerhead, & exhaust tube to get to it, soak upside down & wait. Someone repaired the water pump & did not grease the upper driveshaft splines.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

ATF = transmission fluid.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got IT!

Turned it upside down and sprayed the foamy engine cleaner excessively and let sit for 20 minutes. Followed it up with a bit of carb cleaner and some light taps on a vice grip again.

I did it outside, btw!

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got the same problem. It's soaking right now.

Once I get it loose, can I reinsert it into the lower unit, or is a gear case tear down necessary?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should be able to reinsert the drive shaft into the pinion gear, you might have to retate the driveshaft to align the splines.