1962 Evinrude Lark 40 h.p. shaft length. MODEL# 35530L Ser# 04910

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Everyone, I'm new. I believe I'm asking my questions in the right place. If not please advise me and I'll comply.

I've got the chance to pick up this outboard at a good price. Dad can pick it up and bring it to Michigan for me.

First off I think the "35" first two digits of the model number are for 35 horsepower not 40 like the seller states?

From the photo I can not believe this outboard measures 24 inches. I gave specific instructions on how to measure it, but often things like this get confused. "From the transom clamps where the outboard rests on the back of the boat to the cavitation plate, the flat surface above the prop."

I will be putting it on a kit Chris Craft. I know it's alot of power for the little boat, I know I would like it that way. There is no horsepower or passenger information tag on the boat.

Here is a pic of the outboard in question and my boat. Thanks,

Attachments

• 1962 Evinrude Lakr 40 Hp.JPG
    1962 Evinrude Lakr 40 Hp.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1962 Evinrude Lark 40 h.p. shaft length. MODEL# 35530L Ser# 04910

It's a 1962 40HP. It appears to be a 20" long shaft motor. No such thing as a 24" 40hp in 1962. The choices were 15 and 20 inches.
That transom looks like it is for a 15" motor.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a 1962 40HP. It appears to be a 20" long shaft motor. No such thing as a 24" 40hp in 1962. The choices were 15 and 20 inches.

Yes it is a 15" transom. The Fastwin 15 in the background measures 17". Wondering if points of measurement have changed through the years, or if there was an accepted industry standard where one style was acceptable for a wider range of boat styles? That was three years before I was born,,,, eeessshh...

Regarding the '62 Lark, is that a spacer between where the outboard tapers down just below the two screws that are side by side and the top metal flat? Beginners and all they're questions......

Thanks Admiral, I appreciate it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is a short shaft motor. The 35531 was the 1962 40hp long shaft.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I forgot to mention, the OMCS back then were made 17" for short shaft and 23" for long shaft, they will hang a touch lower than a newer motor, but will be ok. Some guys shim or jack plate to lift it up.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a short shaft motor. The 35531 was the 1962 40hp long shaft.

Hi High, Photographs are often deceptive. Yet I could swear the evidence looks like a short shaft. Top Secret files indicate a choice of two with no letter involved. I'm goin' for it!

Much appreciated Rear Admiral.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot to mention, the OMCS back then were made 17" for short shaft and 23" for long shaft, they will hang a touch lower than a newer motor, but will be ok. Some guys shim or jack plate to lift it up.

Your reading my mind High, I'll be up at Houghton Lake tomorrow, I've been contemplating raising an old outboard since I've had this boat. and I plan to visit the hard wood guy for a piece of hardwood to elevate an old outboard.

The Fastwin was never installed on this boat. I'll furnish my page with photos soon.

I would like to use one of those thin flappy cutting board's to crease just right and wrap around the wood transom, just another idea.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

!!!!UPDATE!!!

The Lark deal fell through. Yet thus lucky me. Found this cool Ski-Twin and the seller was gracious enough to wait for me to return from Peaches to drive down across the border and hand over one hundred buckeye nuts for a fine 33 pony Evinrude. I'm going to run the sure thing, the Fastwin for now, then give the Ski-Doozie a once over at a later date..... Sometimes in this rotten world people can be soo cool...IMG_2238.jpgIMG_2241.jpgIMG_2240.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You are lucky the deal fell through. If you were contemplating buying the motor pictured in the first 5 photos, that is a LONG Shaft motor. It is so obvious, because the 5" extension is so clearly visible.

But the 33hp you now show is a short shaft.

Your boat will steer backwards if you run it with the steering wheel rigged as shown. The cables need to come off the bottom of the drum. The exception would be if you attch them to the back of the motor instead of the front carrying handle attachment.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The old 33's are good old motors. Very basic and simple to work on. Parts are cheap and these are based on the 1957 Big Twin. Just has a fiberglass hood, versus a clamshell cover. Compare and you'll see the resemblance.

Attachments

• 5Nc5Ic5Ja3L83N83H7c3ef9918df1f49b1e31.jpg
    5Nc5Ic5Ja3L83N83H7c3ef9918df1f49b1e31.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, that Lark is a 20, getting to recognize these things at a glance...

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

This rig does steer correctly. It seems to be set up to not use pulleys at the front of the outboard. Calculations reveal this is a fast or quick ratio steering set up.

I scrutinized every newer and older boat I could find around Lake Houghton for sale and all the production offerings had pulleys mounted at the front of the outboard with the screen door spring get up anchored up in the rear corners of the boat. Someone did this intentionally, and I am going to employ it, only afterwards I will determine if there needs to be a change.

You are lucky the deal fell through. If you were contemplating buying the motor pictured in the first 5 photos, that is a LONG Shaft motor. It is so obvious, because the 5" extension is so clearly visible.

But the 33hp you now show is a short shaft.

Your boat will steer backwards if you run it with the steering wheel rigged as shown. The cables need to come off the bottom of the drum. The exception would be if you attch them to the back of the motor instead of the front carrying handle attachment.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a pic of the interior steering. IMG_2250.jpg
Seem's I'm done with the Lark thread. I would like to start an official "Miss Peachtree" thread of the boat.

Thanks for the replies concerning this thread. It's back to Home Depot for some more stuff to finish the bunks on the trailer I found down the street, eeeeshhh, this has been the real fabrication so far.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

The old 33's are good old motors. Very basic and simple to work on. Parts are cheap and these are based on the 1957 Big Twin. Just has a fiberglass hood, versus a clamshell cover. Compare and you'll see the resemblance.

Oh yea Zephyr, I did notice that resemblance. I noticed on the 40 hp engines they are thicker directly under the power head, kind of like a pipe on a snowmobile exhaust and how it tapers down. Seems this may contribute to the bumped up power output. I'm wondering if a Big Twin clam shell cover would be cool fabricated on this Ski-Twin, along with remote mixture adjustment knobs run up to the control box.

I also like the single line fuel tank and line connections, and the opportunity to add a generator, or even a small car alternator? Could there end up being a power bulge laminated to the Ski-Twin fiberglass cover, making room for an alternator? The Ski-Twin is as powerful and as modern as I want to go.

Thanks for the reply,

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, the Super Quiet suspension on that '62 Lark, was started in 1958, on the Lark and RDS-20. The '58 Big Twin still looked like the '57 Big Twin I pictured and the '58 RD looked the same as the '57, but the paint scheme on the hood was reversed. Well, in 1962, Jonson/Evinrude re-introduced the old '56 30hp, in the form of a 28hp with a fiberglass hood. Virtually identical in design, with the exception of the fibeglass hood and lower pan. most parts will still interchange. In 1965, the 28 was replaced with the 33hp and the powerhead was basically a continuation of the '57 - '58 Big Twin 35, but again, a fiberglass hood. The head on the 33 still even has the place that the compression release actuator arm was mounted on, on the earlier Big Twins. They modified the mold for the head and did away with all those workings though, like the holes where the little valves went through and the passages to the air cavities. I believe the 33 is also a slightly lower compression powerhead, so the average person could pull start it a little easier. Believe it or not, the 1971 and newer 40, did away with the Super Quiet suspension and went to the single wall midsection, used on the 33's. To put it another way, the 33's were bumped up to 40hp, and the Larks (that used to be 40hp) were bumped up to the newer designed 50hp. Dual carbs and a loop charged system (rather than cross flow) the 50 was no bigger in displacement than the earlier 40's. Plus it had the newer designed through prop exhaust. But yea, if you get that 33, you'll have a great motor. You should be able to mount a generator on there, without interfering with the shroud. After all, the 35 Big Twins and Larks came with Generators and did interfere with the clamshell cover. You should be able to use a Generator from the '57 Big Twins as well. Mounting the clamshell would be doable, but you would have to replace the head, with that of a '57 - '58 35hp Big Twin but even then, you have to change a lot of other stuff too and it wouldn't be worth the effort. You would be better off finding a '57 Big Twin, in that case. You could install a carb with the single jet screw, to minimize the need to make adjustments. I'm not positive, but a carb from a later model 40 should mount on that and the 40's went to a single jet screw carb in 1961. Find a later one though, with the electric choke. and test fit it.

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Miss Peachtree rocks Lake Houghton Houghton Lake Michigan.

Miss Peachtree and I.jpg

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really didn't like the super quick ratio steering the boat had when the little outboard was mounted directly to the transom. Now since there is an adjustable jack plate mounting the engine nine inches rearward, the added length of the rope steering bracket corrects the ratio and makes the steering more like normal.

I made the steering with multiple pieces for adjustability. Now I have found out that a one piece bracket with milled oval mounting holes at each end will do just fine.

I am thinking I should be able to modify long shaft outboards to short shaft. Eliminating the bolt on cast spacer is the easy part. I'm sure the shaft's can be shortened welded and reinforced. Before people tell me you can't do that or it isn't advised to try it. I'll bet I can perform the operation and hold necessary tolerance and strength. There is a 65 pony 1965 Evinrude four cylinder I have my eye on......

It is so cool being into Evinrude outboards, finally something that is even more plentiful than the car guy's small block Chevy. Think I'll keep an eye open for a broken or stuck 4 banger for a practice piece.

Steady as she goes.....

Attachments

• IMAG2784.jpg
    IMAG2784.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm no expert, but I have a hard time imagining a V4 on your Miss Peachtree.

Here are some links for calculating maximum safe horsepower:
http://www.boatinghowto.com/downloads/info/backyardboatbuilders.pdf
New Boatbuilders Home Page - Horsepower
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title33-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title33-vol2-sec183-53.pdf

Your steering wheel looks like the type favored by racers, and the original rig (for back of engine brackets) suggests that as well...

I keep seeing the boat with some old "opposed" engine (no gearshift, and not quite as plentiful as the 50's/60's engines)

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep Silver, I checked that Coast Guard recommendation when I first got my boat as she is my first boat. I concluded that is for boring boating... ha... The recommendation for my boat is 19 ponies. Since I added the jack plate I have concluded the transom height is no longer 15 but 20 inches. Of course these are my own rules....snicker snicker....

I just figured out that steering get up must be an aftermarket period authentic kit. It uses the ore locks to hold it in place. I am designing more lateral support as far as brackets in my head. When the going gets rough I hang on to that bar for sure.

I have more mahogany to strengthen up the transom even more. Yet it is such an easy job I haven't considered how much time it will take to do. All I need is a few leisure Bud Light hours.....

It is cool to have two smaller outboards on these old boats and it was done somewhat often. I'm sure the weight of two little outboards and one 65 pony-ish 4 banger would be no real difference to consider. Keep in mind the jack plate and the extra mahogany I have added has made this transom considerably stronger.

Still thinkin' about it. If I find that 65 for the right price..... look out..... hehehe....

Steady as she goes....

Lakeshadow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thinking having an outboard engine boat is so cool. I could go with big ponies once in a while, but not all the time....

Steady as she goes.....