setting points on 62 40hp rude

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice
I just changed the points and plug wires on my rude and was just wanting to know where the throttle should be set.
Was doing some research here and found this thread

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294072

It did not mention where to set the throttle. Then found this thread
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=281957

With this post (#23 on the previous thread)
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=281957&p=2595571&viewfull=1#post2595571
Then the post under it answered his question.(#24) (said it did not matter where the throttle was set)

On my engine when I have the throttle wide open (the position I adjusted mine) I can put the feeler gauge in.
When I move the throttle down to halfway and rotate the cam to the position where the points open.
I cannot insert the feeler gauge until I move back to full throttle and rotate the cam again.

Is this right or do I need to redo every thing?

confused I am

killerkilgore

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: setting points on 62 40hp rude

The reason you cannot find any mention of where to have the throttle set when you adjust the points is that it doesn't matter and the throttle setting has no bearing or relation to the point setting. What is very important is that the points are set when the opening is at its widest point. Leave the thottle at idle and ignore it from that point on. The only thing you want to move is the crankshaft itself to obtain the widest opening of the point set assembly you are adjusting..... as follows.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info Joe Reeves.

That is not what I wanted to hear but sometimes the truth hurts.
I guess it is a good thing I have not put the flywheel back on yet.

Also will a condenser from a 59 johnson 10hp work with my 62 40hp evinrude?

Got a new kit for the 10hp.That is where the points came from.
Shows to be the same points when doing lookup on just points so that is the reason I robbed the 59 10hp kit.
However when looking up the condenser part number they are different. But looking at them they look the same.
No numbers stamped on new ones.
Got the correct condenser ordered but in a hurry to get the 40 fired up. but don't want to hurt it.
If I have to wait I will.

Also going to put in Champion J8C plugs is that OK.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Points (580148) are the same.

Condensers are not. A 10hp is 580321.... A 40hp is 581419.... completely different animal and problems will surface at various rpms.

Do not use J8C plugs unless you intend to replace a piston or two later on. Use only (ONLY!) Champion J4C or J6C, gapped at .030

Be absolutely sure to torque that flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds, otherwise the flywheel key will surely shear resulting in damage to the crankshaft and flywheel tapers.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Once again Thanks Joe,

I will get get different plugs and wait for my condensers arrive.

Which plugs would be best the J4C or J6C?

Do you recommend the same plugs for the johnson 10hp as well.
I think I used the J8C plugs in the johnson 10hp for about 20 to 30 minutes last year. I hope I didn't hurt it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In either engine you can use the J4C or the J6C. Due to the age of the engines, it might be best to use the J6C. It's a more forgiving plug.

KillerKilgore

Seaman Apprentice

Thank again Joe,

I have gotten some great help and advice from this forum and will try to give back when I can.

Now lets go and recheck and reset the points. and run some kill switch leads (another threads of mine)

KillerKilgore