75 hp '63 Johnson ignition issue

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice
Hey ya'll I've got a 75 hp '63 Johnson motor, model number V4S-12 on '60 Larson V Haul.

So I got new plugs and wires in and then it started to rain, so I left my boat in the shade (not where I normally do) and when I can back out the next day, I just happened to pick up the ignition box and water just SPEWED out of the box. So I was like 'damn thats not good. :facepalm:' My only guess is that where I had the boat there is a small really unnoticeable down hill to the ignition box side so the water filled up there faster than it could drain out. So I took apart the ignition box and found both of my fuses were blown out, so I got new ones of those and still nothing happens when I turn the key. So my question is what do I need to check/probably get a new one of, since before this happened everything worked up to 'no start part'.

Any help on this would be great and apprenticed very much, I hope to have this out on the water by the end of this month hopefully.

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 75 hp '63 Johnson ignition issue

Well I just ordered a new solenoid..guess we'll try that.

yorab

Ensign

How is the battery? Which 2 fuses are you referring to?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

V4S-12 is a 1960 motor. Most likely a magneto ignition. When you say ignition box, are you refering to the Junction box? It would contain a starter soliniod, a regulator if the motor had a generator, and possibbly a fuse or two. I guess a water cooled solinoid would not work too well. Have you tried bypassing the solinoid to see if it cranked? If it does it could mean a bad solinoid, open or shorted wires to the switch, or a bad switch. Other culprits could be main battery cables are badly corroded beneath the insulation and can't pass enough if any current.

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

The two glass fuses in the ignition box. And I've tried two different batteries.

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

Well I've had crank before so I'm to assume for now that it's not the wires and yeah by ignition box that's what I meant that junction box I didn't know what to call it. And yeah I have bypassed all of the junction box and got it to spend the flywheel.

yorab

Ensign

Test the solenoid by turning the key and having an assistant back at the junction box to hear/feel if the solenoid is active. Should be a good click when it is energized.

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

Okay well I put in a new one and still nothing.

What should I do if nothing happens with the solenoid? Does that mean my ignition key is bad? My wiring is bad?

I have a gut feeling I'm going to need to rewire the whole thing since its the original 1960's wiring with splices all over the place...whatcha gonna do wheat the previous owner was a crack head. :(

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone have any ideas on how to figure this out or trouble shoot it?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Does anyone have any ideas on how to figure this out or trouble shoot it?

You need to use a voltmeter or a 12V test light to check for voltage at each point in the wiring circuitry. Start at the key switch as someone turns the key to START and work your way all the through the system looking for that point where there is no voltage.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

have you got it in neutral and the throttle set at a slow speed position? It won't crank if too far advanced. Did you get the correct solenoid, or did you go to an auto parts store and get a car solenoid? If the latter, you just compounded the problem. Put the old solenoid back in, since that probably wasn't the problem.

If you passed those two questions, there is only one way to find the trouble without a lot of guessing and money spending. Use a multimeter to check voltages. A wiring diagram will help by telling you what's what and what it does.

The two fuses are only used if you have the accessory generator kit---do you? They have absolutely nothing to do with the starting circuit. If you do have the generator kit, you just drowned a $100 voltage regulator. But that has nothing to do with the starting circuit either.

If you don't have a multimeter, don't know how to use it, don't know how starting circuits work, etc, you are at a serious disadvantage. We could teach you, but that would take awhile and a lot of patience.

Here is the 1961 wiring diagram, closest I have. Should be very similar

EDIT: The difference between 1960 and 1961 is the location of the disconnect plug. It is on the side of the motor in 1960 and in the junction box in 1961. Ultimate destination of the wires is the same.

Attachments

• Wiring 1961 75hp Manual Shift Without Generator.jpg
    Wiring 1961 75hp Manual Shift Without Generator.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 0

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

You need to use a voltmeter or a 12V test light to check for voltage at each point in the wiring circuitry. Start at the key switch as someone turns the key to START and work your way all the through the system looking for that point where there is no voltage.

okay, I was going to try that, but I cant find my tester..

have you got it in neutral and the throttle set at a slow speed position? It won't crank if too far advanced. Did you get the correct solenoid, or did you go to an auto parts store and get a car solenoid? If the latter, you just compounded the problem. Put the old solenoid back in, since that probably wasn't the problem.

If you passed those two questions, there is only one way to find the trouble without a lot of guessing and money spending. Use a multimeter to check voltages. A wiring diagram will help by telling you what's what and what it does.

The two fuses are only used if you have the accessory generator kit---do you? They have absolutely nothing to do with the starting circuit. If you do have the generator kit, you just drowned a $100 voltage regulator. But that has nothing to do with the starting circuit either.

If you don't have a multimeter, don't know how to use it, don't know how starting circuits work, etc, you are at a serious disadvantage. We could teach you, but that would take awhile and a lot of patience.

Here is the 1961 wiring diagram, closest I have. Should be very similar

EDIT: The difference between 1960 and 1961 is the location of the disconnect plug. It is on the side of the motor in 1960 and in the junction box in 1961. Ultimate destination of the wires is the same.

1. How do I make sure they are in the correct position? In the middle and all the way back?

2. Yes I got the correct one. Sierra Solenoid Part# 18-5807

3. How do I know if I have a accessory generator kit? (I dont have any gauges or anything so I'm going to assume I dont)

4. I have one, I just cant find it my dad moved it..I know how to use one, havent really had the need to but I'm always willing to learn.

5. I assued the multimeter was the next step I just wasnt sure or it there was an easy fix for this..like one where you guys would be like oh its X and all you have to do is Y and it will be fixed..

Thanks for the help

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1. How do I make sure they are in the correct position? In the middle and all the way back?

Well it should crank at that, but correct start position is throttle all the way back, then shift to neutral (middle position), then push throttle as far forward as it will go without forcing----if nobody has tampered with the interlocks.

2. Yes I got the correct one. Sierra Solenoid Part# 18-5807

Good for you. Most people flunk on that one.

3. How do I know if I have a accessory generator kit? (I dont have any gauges or anything so I'm going to assume I dont)

A generator looks similar to the starter motor, but belt driven and on the opposite side of the powerhead. A voltage regulator goes with it---inside a special ddep cover on the junction box.

4. I have one, I just cant find it my dad moved it..I know how to use one, havent really had the need to but I'm always willing to learn.

If all else fails, you can get them rediculously cheap these days. I don't know how they do it, even for China

5. I assued the multimeter was the next step I just wasnt sure or it there was an easy fix for this..like one where you guys would be like oh its X and all you have to do is Y and it will be fixed..

Yeah, right. I'd have to get the meter out myself. But I can tell you that submersion is death on any wires that connect to the + side of the battery, if the battery was connected at the time. You should see what happens when those things are submerged in salt water (that's where I live).

zackhouck

Seaman Apprentice

So my boat is backwards, the steering wheel is on the opposite side as what it normally is. so I'll try and figure out which one is which.

Okay so a little update, I went out and bought a tester. I was getting amps to the ignition key then nothing out, so I got a new one had to wait forever for the one i bought to come in..now I have 12v in and out, and 12v to the voltage regulator but only 1-4v out on it. And it its really bad looking like its all corroded and stuff. I'll post a picture latter, and I'm pretty sure thats the issue now..is there any place to buy a new one of those or can I rebuild it?

thanks for all the help you guys are great