1970 seletric 60hp no fire to plugs

StarFox

Cadet
I have a 1970 seletric shift 60hp evinrude outboard that is getting no fire to the plugs. Here is what I have done, I have replaced the wires coming from the points to the power pack and to ground (removing flywheel and stator). The clipper assembly. has also been removed. I had noticed before I replaced the wire that the motor would attempt to fire after letting off the switch, however now it will not attempt to fire at all. I have also left the switch on and then touched the wire coming from the pack that goes to the points to ground, with this I noticed a sparking noise coming from under the fly wheel. I am hopeful that the power pack is good as it seems that current is going through it. Any ideas? also if you need more detail or something isn't clear let me know and ill try to re-explain better

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 seletric 60hp no fire to plugs

Hi StarFox,

Your motor has a battery CD type ignition. Looks like the amp/power pack seems to be working, as you get some spark when you manually give ground where the points go. Do check the breaker points, they should be set for 0.01". There is also an anti reverse spring that shorts the points if the engine is turning in the wrong direction. Check the correct operation of the points with the anti reverse spring. At the ignition transformer, before the distributor, you should get about 1/2" - 3/8" spark. You should get a bit less after the distributor, at the plugs.
Based on this you can sort out where does your spark disappear.

Peter