1995 Evinrude 105 (150) Jet Power

ux4it

Recruit
Hi all, first time poster here.
I've got an unusual problem going on with my outboard. Earlier this year, headed out to the lake for the first time. Engine started fine, ran fine for a few days. Last day out, Engine started OK, warmed up fine. When I gave it throttle to go, it died. After that, it started fine, but would die after shorted and shorter periods of time running, till if finally wouldn't start at all. Limped back to the dock on my kicker. Next day, it started fine, and ran long enough to get in on the trailer.
I found water in my fuel on return home. Syphoned my tank out, changed fuel and water filters. Ran in the driveway just fine.
This last weekend, I tried to run the boat again. Got to the lake, and it started up fine. After warm up, tried to accelerate and it died again. Fished all day off the kicker. Tried to fire up the big motor to get to shore. No go, same as before. Starts fine, but then dies when I try to accelerate.
Next morning, same thing.
That evening, after trolling all day on the kicker, I thought I would try it again. Fired up the big motor, let it warm up. Started to accelerate, and there were no problems at all. Ran fine for the whole ride home(approx 40 minutes).
Next day, same old problem, just won't stay running.
Does anyone out there have any ideas where my problem might lie. Could it be a stator, coil?
Thanks in advance.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1995 Evinrude 105 (150) Jet Power

Welcome aboard.

It could be almost anything but I would start with a compression test and I would clean and service all the carbs. Compression test lends piece of mind ;) and the carbs could have bits of garbage in them that settles down and then gets stirred up.

With all the E-10 gas that we run...... the side benefit is that it cleans and removes allot of older crud.