new bird need help on 1973 Envirude 65hp

chennan

Recruit
Hi, everyone, this is my first post. I have read lots of threads in this forum before and they are very helpful, this forum is awesome.
And I just got my second boat and have some problems, so I think you may help me again.
My boat is a 1973 lakemaster with a envirude 65hp outboard motor.
When I went to buy it from the previous owner, it started fine with a water flusher connected to the motor.
And when he started it, he hold the automatic choke button to make the choke "on".
However, after I bought it and put it in the lake, it seemed very hard to start.
And I found it is only possible to start the motor when I put the choke in "off" position which is opposite to what is described in owner's manual and what the previous owner showed me.
Anyway, after started it for 5 minutes, I succeed and drove it out on lake for like 1 hour. And I did it again the second day.
Then when I went boating the third time, the started refused to work then I checked and found the battery is low(12.3V).
I took the battery back home and charged it to 13.0V and put it back to the boat, the boat then can start.
After 1 day run, I checked the battery again, it dropped to 12.8V, seemed the motor is not charging the battery.
Anyone has any idea? Why I have to put the choke "off" to start the motor and is it normal the battery drop to 12.8V after 1 day run?
:)

chennan

Recruit
Re: new bird need help on 1973 Envirude 65hp

Hi, everyone, this is my first post. I have read lots of threads in this forum before and they are very helpful, this forum is awesome.
And I just got my second boat and have some problems, so I think you may help me again.
My boat is a 1973 lakemaster with a envirude 65hp outboard motor.
When I went to buy it from the previous owner, it started fine with a water flusher connected to the motor.
And when he started it, he hold the automatic choke button to make the choke "on".
However, after I bought it and put it in the lake, it seemed very hard to start.
And I found it is only possible to start the motor when I put the choke in "off" position which is opposite to what is described in owner's manual and what the previous owner showed me.
Anyway, after started it for 5 minutes, I succeed and drove it out on lake for like 1 hour. And I did it again the second day.
Then when I went boating the third time, the started refused to work then I checked and found the battery is low(12.3V).
I took the battery back home and charged it to 13.0V and put it back to the boat, the boat then can start.
After 1 day run, I checked the battery again, it dropped to 12.8V, seemed the motor is not charging the battery.
Anyone has any idea? Why I have to put the choke "off" to start the motor and is it normal the battery drop to 12.8V after 1 day run?
:)

any suggest will be appreciated. Thanks

BonairII

Commander

You probably have a bad rectifier. Run motor and put a multimeter on the pos/neg of the battery to see if it's charging.

Rectifier is just old and finally quit....or someone connected pos/neg leads to the battery backwards at some point and fried rectifier. Only takes a split second of reverse polarity to fry the rectifier.

Not having to choke motor to start it is just fine.

chennan

Recruit

Thanks a lot. I will check the rectifier.