E50pl4si battery cable at starter terminal breaks repeatedly

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
So this is an e50pl4si (2001 4-stroke 50 hp Evinrude) Engine has less than 100 hrs. I have a new battery (820MCA) with clean connections. Battery cable is in good shape, no corrosion present. I have replaced the terminal at the starter twice, the cable keeps breaking at the terminal. This is the eight inch or so long cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter. It breaks at the starter. The grounds are all clean and secure. No corrosion present. All cables read 0 ohms when isolated and checked. There should be no movement on this wire, everthing is clean and secure.

Amperage draw when cranking does NOT reveal an abnormally high draw. Voltmeter on boat shows over-charging but when checked with Fluke it is just a bad gauge. Fluke shows 13.9 v when engine running, 13.1 v with engine off, this is normal I believe.

Any suggestions?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: E50pl4si battery cable at starter terminal breaks repeatedly

Explain what you mean by "breaking".

The copper heavy duty terminal actually breaks away from the cable?

There is a heavy duty crimping tool that secures the copper terminal to the cable and it is impossible for the terminal to escape its grip. Most experienced mechanics possess this tool.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

I also have the proper tools and have crimped the copper lug on correctly. The wire itself breaks at the lug. It shows no sign of melting or burning or erosion. It stays together for about 25 hrs of operation. I have repaired twice now so there must be an underlying cause, I just can't think of anything else to check. Have checked and verified all connections, grounds, wire resistance and starter draw as well as charging system performance. Was just taking a shot in the dark here that maybe someone can think of something else to check.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Pictures?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

I sure appreciate your attention and time Joe. I already threw out the old wire and lug...The boat is out for a rental for a few days so when it comes back I will disassemble to inspect and snap some pictures. Then I will try to fighure out how to post them. I am sure there is some info on doing that on this site somewhere. Although for me it might be tougher than setting up an instrument cluster...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Posting can be done by uploading the pictures to Photobucket.com, after whihc it's just a matter of laying the cursor over the picture which causes a few lines to appear under it. Clicking on one of them (Image I think) results in a copy condition after which it's simply a matter of pasting in your reply.

I've been in this line since 1960 and have never hear of such a happening. There's not that much heat there to cause it to melt away, nor it is possible for it to be flexed back and forth to create a break away condition.

I assume you are using the same grade heavy duty battery cable for that connection between the starter solenoid and the electric starter?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral

I am useing the same 4 ga wire I have used on countless boats for the last seven years. I believe I am going to try a piece out of the new roll in the shop should it need it when it comes back in. Starting to wonder if maybe the wire had been "work Hardened" because it is from the end of the roll. anyhow, I will post pics in a few days. Gonna take the fourth off and hope you do as well!