2000 200 hp evinrude ficht

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice
my motor runs fine for fifteen or so and wiht out worning shuts off. When i try to start it my four light go through there test
any then the overheat, low oil,and check engine come back on and stay on and the motor will not start. when it cools downs
for fifteen to twenty minutes it will start back up. When I try to hook my labtop up to computer it does not communicate. but when the motor cool off and is ready to start again I can get my labtop to communicate . I checked for any codes and there were no codes. I have read other forums and some people have had the same problem. But the forum did not say what
the problem ended up being. tryed to ask what they found there problem but did not get an answer. they might not check the forum any more it was lest year. can anyone help. Thanks:confused:

pensacola

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 200 hp evinrude ficht

I have a 2001 model evinrude ficht ram 175 doing the same thing. But mine will run for a long time then when i shut it down it wont restart until it cools down.

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice

to fix this problem, does this mean the EMM needs to be replaced or rebuilt?

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you're able to communicate with it, go into the history and check the temperature log. It will show you a history/graph of the EMM temperature . Report back with what it tells you for the maximum temperature.

Haffiman

Commander

Have the comp hooked up, let the engine run, shut off and immediately put ign ON, but not start. Monitor change in EMM temp after engine shut down.
If rising, try a mild Salt Away through the EMM cooling circuit and re-test to see of EMM temp is lowered.
Use a bucket with Salt Away mix and a small submersible bilge pump or similar to keep it in circulation.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

An easy way to check this is to pull the water outlet off of the EMM, start the mtr up and see if your getting water. If you do, look for any blockage on the outlet side. If no water, check the inlet side.

Haffiman

Commander

Salt build-up internally in the EMM cooling channel may reduce the heat transfer enough to create this problem. Flow-through might be ok, but not the cooling of the EMM itself. When engine is stopped, the total engine temp will increase before getting reduced. If already on the limit, what is described might happen.

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help. I will check it out and get back with everyone.

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice

okay went to boat hooked up labtop to computer there was no history. went to profile . On that page it said EMM 181 degree. I did not start motor. And with in three minutes i lost commuication with computer and the three lights came on and stayed on . turned key off for two minutes and
turn the key back on and the light were out an the labtop and computer connected again, then with in a minute the three lights came on and i lost commuication again.
seems to have the problem with out it running?

Haffiman

Commander

You probably have an internal ground leakage in one of the big diodes.
Time to send off the EMM.

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice

had mechanic look at my problem. gave me a full report of motor . told me it was my battery. put new battery in .ran good on way out
but on the way in it shut off again and the three lights came back on and would not start for ten minutes. going to try one thing before i
call the mechanic. the machanic told me the ficht motor's are very sensitive with there ground.I will let everyone know what I find out.
it ran good on the one battery when I the way out but I did switch to the other battery on the way in.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your EMM is reporting 181 deg as the maximum temp then you have a cooling problem and the EMM is most likely damaged. The transistors in that box can only withstand 175 deg c before damage. If the EMM is not dead yet, it will be soon (and most likely not when you're at the dock :)

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your EMM has had the kiss of death Send it to BRP for a remanufactured one. Replace it. Make sure the cooling system is up to snuff. Don't send it to those guys at DFI, they will only mess it up and cause you more hearthache.

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice

still having problems, calling mechanic again today. when the machanic ran a full report on motor he showed me on the report that
the Emm read 181 for less them one second. it t has ran the normal temp that it should. He said it was not an overheating problem.
still having same problem. on another thread someone who was having a problem with motor suddenly dying them restarting had
to replace oil uploader to fix the problem. Not sure if the three light came on when his motor died. so i will have the mechanic
look at it to see what he finds. the first time the mechanic looked at it he said it had a 26 code which it is low volt. we will see what
he saids this time.

Haffiman

Commander

Next time your mech hook up the engine, be sure you get a complete copy of the report!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your "mechanic" must not be FICHT trained or that experienced with them as anytime 3 of the warning lights come on after the motor quits, there is an internal EMM problem. in your case it is intermittent but it has to be addressed.

If your mechanic is an authorized dealer he can get a new EMM exchange through the factory, but that is very expensive. He could contact DFI Technologies and have your EMM repaired and upgraded for a lot less money or you could contact DFI and save even more.

mysearay38

Seaman Apprentice

I do have the full report. and he is an authorized dealer

XFILES

Cadet

I do have the full report. and he is an authorized dealer

I am having the same problem with my 2001 250 - except I dont get any alarms when mine shuts down. It will start again after a few minutes and run for about 5 minutes then it happens again. Changed water pumps and thermostats - still happening. Mechanic says he thinks its a thermal overload opening in EM. Checked water flow - everything id good. Whats the cheapest route?