56 evinrude sportwin 10

FV Seek Hunt

Cadet
i posted another thread before and got some great answers that helped alot. im having problems with my flywheel. i changed all the coils condensers and cleaned and gaped the points. Everything was good for a bit (15 min in a barrel) and i noticed when i shut it down the flywheel was rubbing on the armature plate a bit but when i reinstalled it nothing rubbed at all now im getting metal to metal shavings on it. the coils are in the right place and not rubbing it is hitting the outer ring on the armature plate and it seems no matter what i do it still hits. any insight on what i should do im trying to have the motor ready to watch the fireworks by my house on my boat with my kids but i am at my wits end with what to do. Thanks everyone in advance

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 56 evinrude sportwin 10

I would pull the flywheel and make sure the magplate is secured properly. The aluminum retainer ring under the brass ring, is supposed to be installed flat side up.

FV Seek Hunt

Cadet

thanks again...i had looked at what you were talking about everything looks as it should be but is there a way that it is all supposed to be alined up cuz now the aluim plate is all over the place and i cant get the screws back in lol through the coils and the other 2 through the armature plate

lindy46

Captain

Use a probe or an awl to line up the holes.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I would clean the two rings thoroughly and put some grease on the inside of the brass one. Then put the aluminum ring inside of it. I usually put the pairs of holes toward each side of the motor then just get a visual of where the screws are going to go. Funny...I'm pretty lucky at getting the holes. Maybe it's because it's in a dark place. :D:D:D

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the thin brass bushing in the center of the armature plate is tight. Sometimes they break loose.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Bent flywheel???? How did you remove it? The proper way is with a puller that pulls on the three threaded holes in the center. Pulling on the outside diameter may bend it.

FV Seek Hunt

Cadet

hey all thanks for the replies.I got the retainer ring and the brass plate all cleaned up and lubed and all put back together it all seemed to go back together as it should be. Still the same rubbing problem only on the front side of the armature plate inside the small outer slot and on the 1 boss. it seems to be getting worse to the point that now if i pull on the cord it will actually take the throttle from the start point to the stop point. this sucks because when i ran the motor at first it ran great until this issue. Also i used a harmonic balance puller and used the 3 holes on the top of the flywheel so i cant seem to figure out what the hell is going on here lol. Thanks again

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Is it lined up correctly on the flywheel key? You want to set the flywheel on there lightly and turn it slowly, until the slot in the flywheel mates up with the key. Then set it down snug and put your bolt on.

FV Seek Hunt

Cadet

im pretty sure it is i will try to pop it off again and reset it again. I just need to borrow a torque wrench to set it down maybe im over tightening it then ive just kinda been guessing in the 45-50 flbs i have gotten stuff on my truck really close to the right torque before. I will try and see what happens thanks ill keep ya posted.Even now i just went out and looked at it and it seems not to be hitting but it did the same last time i ran it. cold no rubbing....5 min of run hitting?? ill get under it again and see what happens