1974 Evinrude Starflight 115hp gear/remote control problem

Gregorypoppe

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have a little problem with the outboard motor Evinrude (motor number 115493) of my boat.
Last day i was cleaning the remote control and i put de lever into forward when de motor doesn't turn.
After the cleaning i try to start the motor and he doesn't start. I can put the lever into reverse to.

I measure than the contact points at the motor and there is voltage.
I try to start de motor with a booster, i put the + on the starter en de mass on a mass point. De motor works, but i think the gear is stuck. Forward is neutral RPM and the warm up lever is reverse.
The shiftcabels are good and in place. Its the first time in years that i have the problem.
Can someone help me?
I just ordered the repair manual.

Excuse me for the bad englisgh, i'm dutch/french speaking.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1974 Evinrude Starflight 115hp gear/remote control problem

The motor has to be in neutral to start. Why you say yo were cleaning the remote were you washing it off or did you disassemble it?

Gregorypoppe

Cadet

The motor has to be in neutral to start. Why you say yo were cleaning the remote were you washing it off or did you disassemble it?

i think my question is not detailed enough. When de lever is in neutral de boat don't start. I start the motor with a booster
directly on the motor and the motor starts en turn, than i put the lever to forward but the motor turn in neutral but more RPM. Reverse is blocked. The warm up lever is reverse.
I was cleaning the boat when the boat is in de water at my home. I just tell that maybe the move that i fit could be the cause of the problem.

Gregorypoppe

Cadet

it was de remote control that was broken

Gregorypoppe

Cadet

IMG_0175.jpg

does someone know for what the little red and black cabel is? The two cabels are coming out the remote control in the middle..
thanks