hydro electric shift 55 hp johnson

hotrod 2010

Cadet
55 hp johnson hydro electric shift if i hot wire solenids they work properly when running through control box i get forward neutral no reverse i check voltage to wires get 10.77 volts to both wires will not go into reverse, why not? if its the toggle switch any one know where i may get one? please help

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: hydro electric shift 55 hp johnson

Sounds like there's a break in your wiring at some point. I know that's not what you want to hear...but it's probably that simple. The switches are as rare as hen's teeth but you can make your own setup if you're electrically inclined. There's threads on here dedicated to the topic. Keep searching and you'll find it!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The switch is available new from the dealer, PN 0384007.
You will hate the price.
If you find that it is really the switch after troubleshooting and it's not physically broken to pieces, it can be very carefully taken apart and cleaned.
10.77 Volts is not very good if you have a fully charged battery.
The motor does need to be running in order to shift, and the gearcase requires Type C gear oil, not regular 85-90W.

hotrod 2010

Cadet

so your saying the blue wire must have breakage cause the green wire works cause i have neurtal. im new to outboard motors. i do not want to put a toggle switch, thats just to dangerous

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Try jumping to the blue & green wires at the switch. That would include the wires, but eliminate the switch as possibilities.

That voltage does seem a tad low. I really don't know what the minimum allowable would be. Could be poor contact at the switch plug terminals.

hotrod 2010

Cadet

thanks for your help it is the switch. thanks for the part number helped me out alot.