'95 Johnson Looper won't exceed 4100 rpm

GBATT1024

Recruit
First and foremost, I'm pretty novice and new into boating on my own as far as troubleshooting. Anyway, I cannot get my 130 Johnson to exceed 4100 rpm. Power pack was replaced last year, new vro fuel pump, compression is good. It starts and idles great and runs fantastic up until 4100 and then no matter how far you push the throttle, the rpm's never increase. When riding along with a mechanic, he pressed a primer bulb directly on the engine on the back right side it looked like that caused the rpms to increase to normal (although I'm still unsure what exactly he was pressing). This led me to think the issue was with the fuel.

The primer bulb leading to the engine is consistently extremely hard and almost impossible to squeeze, but when disconnected at the inline fuel filter works great. When I disconnected, fuel had built up the filter and in the lines on either side. Logically I'm assuming that there is an obstruction in one of the hoses between the fuel filter and the motor. Is this a smart assumption? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: '95 Johnson Looper won't exceed 4100 rpm

So what did your mechanic say the prob was after being out in the boat with you ??

GBATT1024

Recruit
Re: '95 Johnson Looper won't exceed 4100 rpm

That's what led to the new fuel pump. While it's now idling much better and I can get it to 4100 rpm up from where it was stuck at 3300, I'm still thinking there's got to be another problem delivering the fuel at those high rpms.