1977 75 hp Evinrude, someone turned off the lights

bucknut408

Cadet
Ran like a champ all spring ,one hit of the key and she would fire without a a miss in her.
problem is I noticed the control got real loose while hitting some waves and motor just
quit. Like someone just turned the lights out .Should I start with the control or the engine troubleshooting?:confused:

pdl1948

Recruit
Re: 1977 75 hp Evinrude, someone turned off the lights

I'm not trying to be cute because it's happened to me. Check the kill switch.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

MY boy -- you give us so huge a problem and sooo little information .
What kind f boat are we talking about ?
I am *** uming you have a battery still in the boat and connected -propperly.
I am assuming you have somethings working when you turn on the switch ..

Ball is now in your court -- We need more ,, much more information !!

bucknut408

Cadet

1982 18 ft lund, 1977 75 hp Evinrude, everything works and the engine cranks fast . sorry at work now
and going home to start working on it. Didn't know where to start

pdl1948

Recruit

where would it be

Most outboards have a quick release switch that is held out by a clip and a lanyard that attaches to the driver. Mine is by the throttle.
The motor will die instantly if it is pulled out, it will turn over but not start.

BonairII

Commander

Ran like a champ all spring ,one hit of the key and she would fire without a a miss in her.
problem is I noticed the control got real loose while hitting some waves

What do you mean by "the control got loose"? Was it the throttle arm felt loose or cables or the whole control box itself?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Begin by isolating the problem -- motor or control?? I am assuming you have no spark now. Have you checked? OK, if no spark, unplug the big electrical connector at the motor (don't disconnect anything else) and use a jumper cable to run the starter. Do you have spark now? If so, the problem lies forward of the cable plug. If still no spark, the trouble is at the motor.

Um, maybe you have not lost spark and we are all assuming incorrectly. Hate to ask such a dumb question, but you didn't run out of gas, did you? Or gas line come disconnected??

I haven't checked, but I don't think that motor has a kill switch lanyard. But one may have been added.