1998 Johnson Ocean Runner 225 HP

striper2600

Recruit
hello to all, need help please with my 1998 Johnson ocean runner 225hp started to not accell in gear, rebuilt the carbs, ck'd the VRO 2 sys, new gas, new plugs, new trigger, new power module , compression 110-105 all cyl's, starts right up idels fine revs great when not enguaged, put it in gear and try to rev up goes to about 1300-1400 rpm's and boggs bad and will die, if you feather it up it will sometimes go up but very very slowly and will only rev to 2500 rpm on the trailer. Motor is on a 26' striper.Ck'd the spark with top shelf timing light all cyl's have good spark at all loads and rpm's. pulled the carbs and reed plates and shined a lite into the reed cages all the reeds are open on both sides but closed at the tips, .004" clearence on the sides average, b4 I spend a bunch more on this thing could these reeds be the problem?, thanks Paul, son is coming home on leave from Quantico Marine Base to do some SteelHead fishing, need this thing fixed any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Paul.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 Johnson Ocean Runner 225 HP

Check your idle timing, it should be about 4 degrees ATDC at idle. You said you checked the VRO. How did you do that and what did you do? Have you checked the synch and link on the carbs? Have you set the idle screws to their default position? This sounds like a fuel problem to me. It's not rocket science. Proper fuel delivery, compression, timed spark and she runs.

One question, how can you see the reeds open "at the sides" shining a light into the reed cages. You can only see if the reeds are in fact flat closed by removing them and looking through the cages into a light.

striper2600

Recruit
Re: 1998 Johnson Ocean Runner 225 HP

Check your idle timing, it should be about 4 degrees ATDC at idle. You said you checked the VRO. How did you do that and what did you do? Have you checked the synch and link on the carbs? Have you set the idle screws to their default position? This sounds like a fuel problem to me. It's not rocket science. Proper fuel delivery, compression, timed spark and she runs.

One question, how can you see the reeds open "at the sides" shining a light into the reed cages. You can only see if the reeds are in fact flat closed by removing them and looking through the cages into a light.

thanks, timing is a t 4deg ATDC and advances on accell, I took the reed cages out and can see lite past the sides of the reeds when shined into them from the intake side.As for the VRO2 I followed the service manual for the flow and pressure , and subsituted it for another known good one just to be sure.