1970 Johnson 60 ESL Hydro Electric Shift Blows Fuse!

Big_Tuna

Cadet
Hi,

I searched for a similar thread, but to no avail.. :(

A little back story here:
I bought the boat with motor in the fall of last year. The previous owner did not know too much about the boat. Only used it to putts around the channels with his kid. Boat is an 1988 Larson Citation 150 BR.

The motor is a little tricky to start... 1970 Johnson 60 ESL Hydro Electric Shift. (I know this motor is a nightmare, heard the stories and lived some of them!)

When the motor is cold, and I attempt to start, I:
1. Prime the fuel bulb til firm.
2. Pull the chock lever on the motor
3. On the controls, lift the lever small lever to "Start"
4. Turn the key and listen to the motor attempt to start.
5. Motor stops trying to start, and will not do anything.
6. Take off motor cover and change the fuse that has been installed inline, (probably to the starter) with another 30amp fuse.
7. Repeat starting the motor, maybe change one or two more fuses.
8. Motor eventually starts and warms up
9. push small lever on controls back down to wind down the motor once it warms.
10. Push what i think is the choke on the motor back in.
11. We are in business!

I just hate launching the boat and watching everyone wait on me as I change the fuses out multiple times before they can get their boat in the water...

Once the boat is warm, and has been cruising around for a while, the fuse barely blows. I don't have any clue what is going on!

Is the starting motor drawing more than 30 amps? I considered putting a 40 amp blade fuse inline instead of the 30 amp glass fuse. But am afraid of frying my starting motor...

Any help would be appreciated as I am fairly new to the forum.

Thanks,
Jon

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 Johnson 60 ESL Hydro Electric Shift Blows Fuse!

Hmmm...I have a 1971 Johnson 60HP 3 cylinder outboard with Hydro-Electric Shift ..60ESL-71C....I don't Know how similar your 1970 and my 1971
are...The choke lever/control on my outboard has three positions...
all the way in: choke off
part way out: automatic choke
all the way out: choke on

If that control is set in the automatic position..I can activate the choke by putting/holding pressure on a toggle switch right next
to where you use/insert the key on the controls

The only fuse I have found under the motor cover was a short glass tube 20Amp fuse....I replaced it with a Blade type holder and
fuse...still 20 Amp...easier to find the blade fuses...
I went to another web site and checked on the fuse..looks like your motor is ether a B or D motor
and it looks like they both had originally a 20 Amp Fuse...part # 0510884 ...

In all three of your carbs...(it is a 3 cylinder right?)...there is a needle and seat... my needles had rubber tips...someone jump in here..
you might want to check your needles (Float Valve & Seat Assembly) to see if they are still in good shape...so you are not flooding out the carbs/motor...

I am NOT AN EXPERT.....don't claim to be...still learning on my outboard...:D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The starter motor does not go through the fuse.

Big_Tuna

Cadet

Hmmm...I have a 1971 Johnson 60HP 3 cylinder outboard with Hydro-Electric Shift ..60ESL-71C....I don't Know how similar your 1970 and my 1971
are...The choke lever/control on my outboard has three positions...
all the way in: choke off
part way out: automatic choke
all the way out: choke on

If that control is set in the automatic position..I can activate the choke by putting/holding pressure on a toggle switch right next
to where you use/insert the key on the controls

The only fuse I have found under the motor cover was a short glass tube 20Amp fuse....I replaced it with a Blade type holder and
fuse...still 20 Amp...easier to find the blade fuses...
I went to another web site and checked on the fuse..looks like your motor is ether a B or D motor
and it looks like they both had originally a 20 Amp Fuse...part # 0510884 ...

In all three of your carbs...(it is a 3 cylinder right?)...there is a needle and seat... my needles had rubber tips...someone jump in here..
you might want to check your needles (Float Valve & Seat Assembly) to see if they are still in good shape...so you are not flooding out the carbs/motor...

I am NOT AN EXPERT.....don't claim to be...still learning on my outboard...:D

What website did you use to find the fuse diagram? This is the only fuse that I could find around the motor. I do not have the original manual for the motor, and have no clue what I am doing.:confused: I did however buy 3 carb rebuild kits that I plan to put use this summer. Yes, it is a 3 carb motor.

I had no idea that the little tab for the chock could be put halfway out and use the switch on the control box! That is awesome! I am going to try and use that next time at the launch. Does the tab stay halfway out? or does it go back in when the motor is warmed up? Or do I have to flip the switch again?

Let me clear things up a little here about the issue. When I attempt to start the motor, the key is turned and the starter motor spins real good and fast. When the fuse blows, the starter motor stops immediately, and I have no power to the motor whatsoever. So its not like it is sluggish, or not wanting to start. Sometimes, it will fire right up (when warm).

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming!

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not have a 1970 Johnson Service Manual...but I do have the 1971 60hp for models 60ES71, 60ESL71
ACCORDING TO THE WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR THE 1971....the original 20 Amp fuse had a red wire with a purple stripe...the wire
went from the Battery terminal on the Starter Solenoid Switch..to the Battery Terminal on the Ignition Switch..wire is 16 gauge..
Don't know why your fuse keeps blowing..did a real quick search in the Johnson and Evinrude Outboard section and it looks like it might be a short, or pinched/exposed bare wires somewhere....

When setting the choke lever/control for the Automatic Choke position...there is a notch in the control...push the control all the way in
then pull it slowly out and you should feel when you get to the notch...

With the choke control set in the Automatic Choke position...remove the motor cover...insert your key in the ignition and turn clockwise to
the first position...we are not trying to start the outboard.....now put pressure on the toggle switch that is located next to the key
while watching the Starboard side of your carbs....you should see the solenoid move the carb rods to choke the carbs....it will
apply the choke only while you are applying pressure to the toggle switch...If the Choke Control on the motor is in the Manual
Choke Off or Choke ON position it will not allow the solenoid to do much...

I've been leaving the Choke Control set for Automatic all the time...just been using the toggle switch by the key/ignition:D
Check your private messages...at the top of this page click on the black arrow after the word Notifications..
I'll try to send you my phone number

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I happen to have a print on that motor. I have a old manual for 1958 through 1972, 50 to 125 hp.

Looking at the 20 amp fuse , it is in the primary power circuit going back to the ignition switch , so yes it would kill all of the power when it goes.

SANY0004.jpg