were to find a cheap 1960 evinrude 75 hp coil

fishbit

Cadet
i have a 1960 evinrude 75 hp outboard thats needs a new coil dose any one know were i can find one for a good price new or used?????:confused: part#580243 thank you for any help with this

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: were to find a cheap 1960 evinrude 75 hp coil

There is a list of salvage yards in one of the stickys. Trixie's in Bayville NJ may have it. Is your motor magneto or battery/coil ign? If it is magneto, you could convert to battery/coil ignition. Does the motor have a generator and regulator?

This thread discusses some options.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=401200

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

i have a 1960 evinrude 75 hp outboard thats needs a new coil dose any one know were i can find one for a good price new or used?????:confused: part#580243 thank you for any help with this

Coil #580243 would be the magneto coil. I had a few some time ago but they went like wildfire on eBay. I can only wish you luck in finding one.

I assume that you had the magneto belt off so that you could spin the magneto pulley and that you had a spark tester connected directly to the coil brass output button? If not, how do you know the coil is faulty... unless it is actually cracked to pieces.

If by chance you haven't done this test, do so, and if you do have spark at that point... the usual no spark problem (with the magneto assembled) is being caused by a faulty rotor that is shorting out to the metal shaft upon which it sits.

The points of course must be good, clean, and set on the high lobe so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not.

Let us know what you find.

fishbit

Cadet

oh yeah the coil was cracked into pieces look like someone dropped the bomb inside of there. I did find another coil in california for a pretty reasonable price considering the ones I've been finding were$214 and above. I really do appreciate all the information

BonairII

Commander

Try "OMC Dave" on ebay. He has a ton of brand new "old stock" parts.

Fishbit, I just PM'd you his email address.

fishbit

Cadet

thank you very much for the information you're great I really appreciate it