1999 Evinrude 200 hp shift linkage ?

stratos295

Cadet
OK guys Parts are ordered ,just waiting for them to arrive,I ordered 2 inlet screen and a new water pump kit,I was out cleaning the old girl up today and thought i would look for the shift cable connecting.I found it ,but there is 2 bolts on it,Which bolt do i loosen up to remove the shift cable so when i drop the lower unit it will come free.One bolt has a slot and the other one does not.Do i loosen the one with the slot in it or both bolts??,
One of the bolts is on the front of the bracket and the other is on the side of the bracket.I will try and get a picture to help out if needed.
Again thanks for all the help guys,So far you guys a right on the money with great advise.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1999 Evinrude 200 hp shift linkage ?

The one with the slot in it on the side of the bracket. It is a pin and threads out just like any other screw. It will release the shift shaft and not the cable.

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on your exact model, the shift rod may be attached to the shift link via a bolt through the shift rod or may be attached by a pin that extends inwards from a metal triangular shaped bracket on the shift linkage. If it's the one with the bolt through the shift rod, just remove the bolt from the port side (remove the lower covers). If it's the one with the pin and bracket, you'll need to pull the clip on the shift linkage and push the linkage towards the block (from starboard to port). That will move the pin out of the rod. You may need to move the rod slightly to disengage the pin. It's quite a PIA on some motors.

stratos295

Cadet

Thanks for all the advise and instruction,Job well done and a big thank you.