1987 Johnson 100 HP popping out of gear

SideW@ys

Cadet
My engine seems to be popping out of gear more and more lately and I'd like to fix it before it gets any worse. The engine model number is JW100WRLCUA 1987. I was looking on the Evinrude/Johnson outboard parts website to determine wich part I need to order. Here's the link to my engine

http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=nf3n3dar9jqhi8j68tvju75d77&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

To fix this problem do I need to replace the gear and pinion assembly (item 32), the shifter clutch dog (item 38), or both?

Just to clarify, for awhile I was able to fix the problem by making an adjustment to the gear shift cable but now I don't have any more room for adjustments. If I adjust the cable a little one way I cant get it into reverse and just a little the other way and I can't get it into forward.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I may even be on the completely wrong track here.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 Johnson 100 HP popping out of gear

Looks like you are on the right track, but I would try one more thing first. Disconnect the shift cable at the shift linkage and manually put it in gear and see if it still jumps out, might have a streched cable and can't adjust properly.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: 1987 Johnson 100 HP popping out of gear

Looks like you are on the right track, but I would try one more thing first. Disconnect the shift cable at the shift linkage and manually put it in gear and see if it still jumps out, might have a streched cable and can't adjust properly.

Most excellant suggestion!