evinrude silver starflite 135 hp

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

well after several years restoring old volvo / crescent engines i have the chance of getting a 1973 evinrude silver starflite 135 hp, so i am thinking before buying, what are these engines like to work on ? parts still fairly easily obtainable ? any advice on things to look for or that normally go wrong really appreciated

regards

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude silver starflite 135 hp

OMC still has many of the common parts in stock. Basically the ignition and powerhead components. Thousands of these were made and if you can't find a new replacment part, you likely can find used parts that will work. These old crossflows are pretty basic engines-easy to work on, but with solid state ignition. Not very fuel efficient. Good torque. You need to check the compression on the engine-that's a high compression engine and should have close to 130+ lbs compression when new. You want it to be even within 10% on all cyls. You need to hear the engine run and see it shift. Check the lower unit oil for water intrusion. If you become the new owner, I'd put a new impeller in the lower unit first, then a new vernitherm (thermostat).