Evinrude Engine

scon7391

Cadet
Hello all!! Just a quick question.... I have a 1966 100 hp evinrude(model 100683 that has bad compression on one side, before I rebuild this engine, for the same price as parts for rebuild I can pick up a 1967 starflite 100-s engine model 100783 with 110 compression on all cylinders. Is this reasonable? and many of the 66 parts should fit the 67 right? thanks!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Engine

i'm not a 4 cylinder expert I do know that there was I believe at least 2 types of ignition
battery with a belt drive distributor and magneto with a belt drive magneto distributor.
I think some ignition parts are very hard to find and expensive.If either one has the electric shift they were difficult to work on and some parts are difficult to find The Electric shift is a sleek unit the standard is is a 2 piece and bulky.

scon7391

Cadet

Thanks for the info!! I have been reading the manuals comparing, this is my first time working on a marine engine so been quite and experience so far. My 66 had several issues including bad compression which was 65,65, 120,120 so after checking prices I thought would be easier picking up a 1967 100 hp that has 120 on all cylinders and for the 300 bucks would be cheaper than the 1966 overall plus I could have some spare parts if needed throwing the 66 in the garage to collect dust. Either way the 1967 has the reverse magnet bad so I guess I will be taking it out of the 66 since its the same part. I guess it's gonna keep me busy....

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Throw a head gasket on the 1966 and see what happens, unless the "several other issues" are major ones.
You can swap the entire lower units instead of taking them apart. Unless the paint color difference bothers you....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Bad compression on one side" (whatever bad compression means) is almost a slam dunk for a new head gasket, nothing more. Don't overthink or overkill your problem.

scon7391

Cadet

Thanks for the reply tx1961, I replaced all the head gaskets and was still low....

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the reply tx1961, I replaced all the head gaskets and was still low....

OK. I would still swap the lower units as a complete assembly, but you'll have to swap the drive shafts out if one happens to be a long shaft motor and the other one isn't. Not a big deal, especially if you are putting in a new impeller anyway (hint, hint).
Also when you disconnect the shift switch wires, tie a string on the wires going down to the gearcase and pull it through the midsection when you drop the lower unit. Leave the string there to pull the shift wires back up when you put the lower unit back on.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're going to run the '67 keep all the igniton parts off of the '66 because if you have probs with the '67 you'll need them. The '67 was the first yr of battery cd and it sucked. You can swap the whole igniton system between the mtrs. Been there.

scon7391

Cadet

Well after spending most the day on the boat I swapped out lower units putting my 66 lower into the 67. Before the swap I did replace the Impeller with a new one since it was cheap (Havent tested it yet), I also put in the new controls the 67 came with, and had to wire a few things, pulled my old ignition out and discovered a mess so I pulled it all out and will rewire tomorrow as well as test the motor. So we shall see....

scon7391

Cadet

Hey Thanks for the heads up about the ignition issues, I researched that a bit and Wow expensive that "power pack" is!!! I am keeping my 66 motor for future parts. I do have a question, seems everyone else on the net asked this but I couldn't find an answer, that power pack, is there something aftermarket Dodge or GM that can me made or used in place of that power pack? or like you said is it just easier and cheaper going with the 66 ignition? Thanks!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Forget about the automotive ignition. Stick with the 66 ign.