1981 Johnson 35, Remote start

kduck870

Recruit
I need some help folks..... I have a 1981 Johnson 35 with electric remote start. The motor starts like a champ but when and only when the motor is running it is backfeeding a helluva current through the remote start box. Everything on it will shock the fire out of me except the shift lever. I have traced every single wire for breaks or worn spots, all good. I have checked every connection, every ground, all good. Everything I have done has not helped any. Today I was checking to see what was hot with a test light, had it grounded to the remote start box and touched the outside of the motor and killed the motor, just like it would if you grounded out the spark plug. Im rackin' my brain and I have no idea what else to do or check. If anybody has any ideas I sure would appreciate them!

kduck870

Recruit
1982 Johnson 35, Remote start

1982 Johnson 35, Remote start

I need some help folks..... I have a 1982 Johnson 35 with electric remote start. The motor starts like a champ but when and only when the motor is running it is backfeeding a helluva current through the remote start box. Everything on it will shock the fire out of me except the shift lever. I have traced every single wire for breaks or worn spots, all good. I have checked every connection, every ground, all good. Everything I have done has not helped any. Today I was checking to see what was hot with a test light, had it grounded to the remote start box and touched the outside of the motor and killed the motor, just like it would if you grounded out the spark plug. Im rackin' my brain and I have no idea what else to do or check. If anybody has any ideas I sure would appreciate them!
////

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 1982 Johnson 35, Remote start

Somewhere you have a direct connection between the stop circuit and the remote ground. If disconnecting the black/yellow cable from the powerpack and the problem disappears, start searching. Might be the screw on the ign switch getting in contact with the casing of the box.

kduck870

Recruit

Somewhere you have a direct connection between the stop circuit and the remote ground. If disconnecting the black/yellow cable from the powerpack and the problem disappears, start searching. Might be the screw on the ign switch getting in contact with the casing of the box.

I just tried that. With the black/yellow wire disconnected and the motor running, the box was still hot. So Im back at square one. Thank you for that suggestion though.

Haffiman

Commander

Did you disconnect the lead at power pack or somewhere else?
That lead carries about 250 Volts and is the only one with high enough voltage to 'jolt'. It may even be jumping between the pins in the big red contact at engine.

kduck870

Recruit

Ended up solving my problem....... There was a wire grounded to casing of the remote start box, disconnected it, no more shock. Not sure what it is or where it goes, but the motor runs fine without it hooked up. So for now gonna leave it that way. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it alot!

Haffiman

Commander

That was probably the ground wire for the stop circuit.
However it indicates a double fault:
1: Your stop circuit is permanently 'grounded'.(or you would only be jolted when stop is activated and engine running)
2: The ground lead from box to engine has an 'open' circuit making the ground pass through remote cables and not the black lead back to engine.
My guess you will find the problem in the red multi contact at the engine. Open the harness both before and after the contact and make a by-pass of the black lead if so.